Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications

Thread: stereo problem

Reverse Gear

Status

stereo problem

Hello people I know you guys wont take long to amswer my this question.

I had Audi factory fitted stereo in my car including the CD changer which was the concert model I swaped it with my alpine MP3 head Unit which I had in mine BMW , Well the problem is I nknow it's staright swap basically only the problem I am facing now is whenever I do the setting on my head unit after switching the car off , I loose all the memory on my head unit can any one help me with this its really annoyieng at the moment .

Do we loose the display as well when we change head unit to after market one it's gone blank now .

Last thing I am not getting any sound on the rear speakers only the fron one's .

Please help me people .

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: stereo problem

1. You need to swap the switched live & perm live. Audi have these the wrong way round.
    2. No aftermarket radio links with the Audi DIS. No biggy really.
    3. The Audi HU only has front speaker outs on it so the rears are powered by a seperate amp (bolted to the left rear speaker).
    So you either need to run new speaker wire from HU to the rears and by pass the rear amp(recommended as the Alpine is better quality and more powerful than the feeble rear Audi amp). OR by the adapter that will enable you to plug your rear RCA's from the Alpine into the Audi rear amp loom. This will work and you'll get extra features as a result (coutesy of Audi's mickeymouse electronics):
    1. A loud pop everytime you turn on the HU.
    2. possible interference/engine whine
    3. you'll have to fade to the rear quite a bit as the rear amp is only 2x20w whereas the Alpine will be at least 4 x 45w probably 4 x 60w.

Reverse Gear

Status

cAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN ME ABOUT THE SWAPING THE LIVE WIRES PLEASE . I AM REALLY THICK IN WIRING'S MATE SORRY FOR THE TROUBLE MATE.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hug.gif[/img]

Status

there are 2 feeds to the HU. One is perm live (which is always live, red/white in pic) this keeps the memory for all your settings. The other is the ignition live (only live with the ignition on, yellow/red) this turns the HU on/off with the ignition/keys out.
    Audi wire them up back to front just to annoy everyone, so you need to either cut them and reconnect the other way round, or buy a male and female ISO power harness (Halfords/maplins about 3.99 each), and connect them together but swap the perm live & ignition live wires. This saves you having to chop the Audi loom.
    The 2 wires you need are the perm live which is top right as you look at the back of the black connector, and the ignition on which is bottom row 3rd along from the right.

Reverse Gear

Status

Sorry for being bit thick I opened my head unit up but cant figure it out matey.

Any other way ??????

Do I have to swap all these wires to each other ??????

Status

On the loom going to the HU, (not inside the HU).
    Pull the HU out so you can see the wiring running to it.
    Find the Black ISO connector in the picture above, cut the red/white wire and the yellow/red wire. The colours maybe different on your vehicle.
    Connect the red/white cable to the yellow/red end coming out of the plug.
    Connect the yellow/red cable to the red/white end coming out of the plug.
    Use bullet connectors (female on the "hot" side/wiring side, male on the plug side) or a terminal block for a secure connection.
    Job done.

Administrator

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Use bullet connectors

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...Your car will literally be held together by these after a few months of hanging around on this forum - I know mine is! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Regards,

Rob.