S3 BOSE questions..

madvw

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions...

1. How many speakers are in a BOSE setup on a 2002 S3.. I have counted 6 so far:- 2 subs, 2 rear shelf and 2 lower front doors. From what i have read, i'm led to believe that there are 8 - and these are by the door-pulls on the front doors - are there supposed to be tweeters there?

2. How bassy is the BOSE setup on a navi+? Only reason i ask is that i was in a friends S reg A3 1.6 Sport non-BOSE with a concert 1, and the bass could be felt through the front seats, and that was with bass on +2. On mine, there is little change if any between -6 and +6, and is nowhere near as beefy.

My best guess so far is that one of the channels in the amp is fecked, so the subs aren't working, and that the tweeters are shagged...

time to dig out that audi assured warranty AGAIN.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

****, shoulda posted in ICE section, can a mod move plz....

Yes, you have:
1 sub (2 drivers)
2 x 4" fronts, 2 x 1" tweeters
2 x 4" rears

8 speaker in total.
I found the Bass & treble on Bose encoded HU's have little effect, some people prefer to have the HU decoded to the normal EQ settings.
You should definately hear a big difference between Bose & non-Bose, but the Bose sounding alot more bassy. The Bose speakers are prone to blowing so you might want to fade front/rear & left/right to check all speakers are working and then fade front and check one of the sub drivers is working then rear and check the other one is as well (as the sub runs off one channel front and one channel rear).

nice one, thanks. I'll have a play about with the fading and balance tonight.

well, had a play with those settings. It's weird. I can hear 1 bass driver when faded to the rear left, and the other driver when faded to the front right.

I assume that all must be okay then really, and that its down to the BOSE EQ settings...

Yes that's right, one runs off left and the other off right. I think it's so as regardless of what bizarre fader/balance settings you have you still get some sub. With the non Bose system if you fade to front you lose the sub completely.
Obviously the amount of bass is very dependent on the source, as there's such a massive disparity between CD's/mp3's etc, but the subtlety of the bass and especially the treble controls when the HU is Bose coded doesn't help.