Raspberry Pi & RNS-d Install

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
For the last couple of months I've been slowly building up parts for a Raspberry Pi install so I can use the AV inputs on my TV Tuner.
I thought this would be a better idea over a DVD player or a Digital TV tuner.

I've done a couple of posts about little bits and asking for advice but I thought it be a good idea to put it all in to one post for others to read.

First off you need a RNS-d with a TV tuner. Tuner version A or B will be fine. B has more inputs than A and B needs the AV cables where A has the RCA plugs in the back already.

My Raspberry Pie.
2012-12-06195625_zpsf59067f0.jpg

After I bought a case for the Pi I stared to think about where I could fit it and the only place that ticked all the boxes was in the boot with the TV tuner, I already had a 12v supply for the boot but I would need to rearrange that area cause I had my 240V supply, 12v and the tuner.
I stripped the boot out and set about fitting it all in.

The Cage
IMAG1000_zps7edb5337.jpg

Everything I wanted to fit in the cage.
IMAG0999_zpsc99b7e3c.jpg

A rough idea of how I wanted.
IMAG1001_zps3ed0b292.jpg

But after some time play and looking at the connections on the Pi it all got changed around and looked like this in the end.
IMAG1003_zpse4bdc138.jpg

With the Pi fitted and everything else I set about thinking of cables and how to wire it up with out filling that area with cables that to long.
I was only able to find a USB cable the correct length.
2013-01-11163201_zpse789e19a.jpg

The AV cable I has to make my self due to the size, location and length required no one has what I needed.
A rough basic idea for the cable looked like this.
Pi-Tuner_zpsb1a22e7b.jpg

After some advice from forum members and couple of hours trolling Maplins web site, I made this.
IMG_20130109_193117_zpsb92ea06f.jpg

I took the cage out of the boot again to fit the 12v supply.
I never did it last time cause I was not sure how long or where would be a good place. So I waited will my short USB cable arrived.

With the cable in hand, I fitted the 12v supply.
2013-01-12155507_zps47725351.jpg

I can remove the Pi power and use the 12v socket for other items and I am still able to remove the SD card from the Pi if I wanted to use a different OS.

With it all in, its time to a OS on it and see what it looks like.

I went for XBMC as it seems like the best fit for what I want to use my RNS unit for.

Had an issue when I first started using the Pi on the screen.
It would flicker, like the res or refresh rate is wrong. Little bit of searching and I was able to change the config file and told it I'm using composite connections not HDMI, only to use 60hz and its on a UK TV unit.

Quick reload and I was presented with this.
IMAG0966_zps1008a475.jpg

There is a small issue, due to the screen being a bit old and HD in any way, the text is a bit hard to read, you can make it and sometimes work out what it is saying but most of the times you just guess. If it be comes a problem I'll sort something out or fit a mini wifi router, connect a wifi card to the Pi and use the XBMC remote on my phone, which is something I might do any way but for now I will stick to using a mouse and keyboard.

First test of the Pi with videos was Star Trek TNG, since its all I had on a card at the time.
IMAG0976_zps5a77ac91.jpg

That's its so far.
I'm waiting for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo to arrive and that should be it for now.

One last thing I need to do on the car side of things is wiring in a relay that will turn the Pi, TV, and Inverter on when the stereo is on.
I don't really want the inverter to turn on at the same time but since it has its own power switch and I will only use it when the engine is on, I can't see it being a problem.

I think that's it for now.
I'm currently adding some movies and tunes to a hand full of large flash drives.

Nice installation what is the performance like on the Pi? Also what are you looking at for controll I was looking into a small trackball fitted into the console.
Trackball

I was going down the full car PC installation but have decided to stay with the RNS-E, sill going to play around with a car pc install but use the rns-e as the screen, that keyboard looks just the job, let me know how well it works as something like under the armrest would be just the right (as long as it fits).

I was going down the full car PC installation but have decided to stay with the RNS-E, sill going to play around with a car pc install but use the rns-e as the screen, that keyboard looks just the job, let me know how well it works as something like under the armrest would be just the right (as long as it fits).

I'm hoping it fits in the Arm rest.
I got cup holders under my arm rest.

Stick with the car PC but go down the Pi route, depending on what you want it for.
The RNS-e screen will be very good for this, a lot better than the RNS-d screen.

Let me know how you get on and if you need any help.

Cheers, I've already got a PC sorted it's one of these, an Intel D2500HN.
D2500HN board lg 288x288

Got a PSU & case from mini-itx.com. I now need to mod the glovebox, but what I could do with is a broken B6/B7 glovebox with CD-Changer fitment and fit the top shelf into the B5. There are loads of B5 ones on ebay so going to cut one of them up first before I attack my own.

Cheers, I've already got a PC sorted it's one of these, an Intel D2500HN.
View attachment 9938

Got a PSU & case from mini-itx.com. I now need to mod the glovebox, but what I could do with is a broken B6/B7 glovebox with CD-Changer fitment and fit the top shelf into the B5. There are loads of B5 ones on ebay so going to cut one of them up first before I attack my own.

You got a Loon or Avant?
I would fit it in the boot personally.
Need a longer cable to get to the front but it would be a neater install and you saves your glove box.

Avant, the thing is the AV pickups for the RNS-E are just at the back of the unit, and I want to avoid having to run screened cable from the back to the front. Also the shorter the run the less chance of interference. It was also easy to run new feed wires from the fuse box to the glove box, and I'm realy not that bothered about the glovebox as it never gets used.

It would have been nice if the car had TV fitted like yours, as I could have cut up the harness going to the TV tuner, there was a CD-Changer cable but that has already been used on another project...

Avant, the thing is the AV pickups for the RNS-E are just at the back of the unit, and I want to avoid having to run screened cable from the back to the front. Also the shorter the run the less chance of interference. It was also easy to run new feed wires from the fuse box to the glove box, and I'm realy not that bothered about the glovebox as it never gets used.

It would have been nice if the car had TV fitted like yours, as I could have cut up the harness going to the TV tuner, there was a CD-Changer cable but that has already been used on another project...

Same issue as mine.
I fitted the RNS-d to my car and ran all cables from the front to the back.
It was a bit of pain but worth in the long run I think.
I understand what you mean bout the cables but I think its worth it if you used the glove box.

What did you use the CD changer for?
iPod?

Went out the other night with the misses.
Parked up in a industrial estate, found a nice wall and proceeded to watch Mrs Brown's Boys while sat in the car.

That project is over.

Next?

Just found this post after searching raspberry pi on the forum, I was contemplating a similar thing today in my head and wondered if anyone else had done it.

Whats the sound quality like playing music from the pi to your car speakers? is it much quiter than say the radio/cdplayer of the RNS-D

I eventually plan on getting an RNS-E and thought about putting a raspberry pi in the glove box. Im not sure it will get used though as the RNS-E will play MP3's of a memory card and I doubt I will ever watch video in my car. I just like to dream up little projects like this but reality/practicality sinks in.

Nice work BTW

Just found this post after searching raspberry pi on the forum, I was contemplating a similar thing today in my head and wondered if anyone else had done it.

Whats the sound quality like playing music from the pi to your car speakers? is it much quiter than say the radio/cdplayer of the RNS-D

I eventually plan on getting an RNS-E and thought about putting a raspberry pi in the glove box. Im not sure it will get used though as the RNS-E will play MP3's of a memory card and I doubt I will ever watch video in my car. I just like to dream up little projects like this but reality/practicality sinks in.

Nice work BTW

When playing music or video through the pie, the audio is a lot quieter. It needs turning up to about half for a good volume where its normally on a quarter.

If you are never going to watch TV or films on the RNS unit and it plays MP3, there is not real point in pi unit for you.
You wont really be able to navigate around it with out a screen and its a lot of hassle for no real gain over your current set up.

I do the same. Dream up projects, get half way through and that's when reality kicks in and I work out its no really practical or even worth the extra hassle.

Yeah i think that renders it redundant. I just want an excuse to buy one though, I thought about turning it into a Home theatre and because of a build im going to be doing in the front room thought it would be best to have a network drive with the films on located somewhere else. Then I realised my TV, surround sound and Xbox could already stream from a network drive so it would make the Pi redundant again:keule:

Might have to just buy one instead of finding an excuse to buy one.