Bose problems

pflowers

Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought a 2003 S3 which has the concert / bose upgrade. The sound quality is generally good except when you have a track with really deep bass. The base box thingy in the boot gives up on the deep bass parts and makes a crackling sound. Bothe speakers in the box are working and do not appear damaged. Its almost as though it can not cope with bass at a certain level and cuts out. Perhaps it is normal. I hope this makes sense, any help would be appreciated.

Yep that's normal. Although the Bose sub is much better than the standard sub it still shares the same tupperware enclosure. I've had one of these on a bench and the thing actually vibrates so much it moves along the bench at an alarming pace.
It's very easy to push it beyond its feeble limits.
I've spent many hours/days trying to get decent bass from the A3/S3 setup and eventually came up with the AndyMac Stealth Sub.
This consists of a custom enclosure made fom 18mm MDF (which fits the same location as the OEM sub), a JL Audio 6.5" sub and an Alpine 300wrms amp hidden behind the rear speaker panel.
The amp links into the original Bose wiring loom, so you only need to run power to it from the battery.
The install takes 4 hours and is a huge improvement on the woolly Bose sound. Not only does it give you clear punchy bass but also allows you to run the Concert HU with -2 to -4 bass setting thus relieving the cabin speakers from a job they can't cope with at louder volumes. So the overall sound is improved with less distortion all round and you can drive the system harder if needs be.
I've made over 20 of these for various people on the forum and installed about 12. If you do a search on "sub upgrade" you'll get various reviews.
It's not a cheap option at £330 fitted, but is a lot cheaper than going totally aftermarket, and retains your boot space, CD changer and OEM look of the HU, and of course is totally hidden from any would be thieves.
Let me know if you're interested, as I have a couple in stock at the moment.
SubCollage4.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
I've spent many hours/days trying to get decent bass from the A3/S3 setup and eventually came up with the AndyMac Stealth Sub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity - have you had any plans to make one for the newer 8P platform, and especially the sportback? Just thinking there might be a market opportunity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Didn't really do this to make money and TBH they're a pain in the **** to make when you've made 20+ of them. Each one takes 5 hours to put together so I really have better things to do with my spare time.
If someone desperately wants to improve the sound in their A3/S3 then I am happy to do it, but the time it took to develop with my wifes A3T coupled with the fact that I don't have access to a donor 8P model that I can work with really does not entice me to do it all again.

Fully understandable. Do let us know though if you happen to make them anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

alternatively a how-to with measurements and pictures would be greatly appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'll take one of the sub enclosures (plus sub) off you Andy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PM me with exactly what you need: Bose or non Bose, amp/wiring etc.
Cheers, Andy