Radio/NAV not working, please help?

rich2302

Reaction score
Hi All,

Second post, so please be gentle
smile.png

I picked up my first ever Audi at the weekend, a 57 plate Q7 3.0TDI. Great car and I really love it, but I've already managed to break something, so could do with your help.

Had some bottles of wine in a box in the boot, went around a left hander, the box fell over and one of the bottles smashed, depositing most of the wine on to the DVD drive at the back of the boot.

So as it stands, nothing on the headunit is working, no radio, no nav, nothing. doesn't power on, completely dead. So will it simply be a case of replacing the DVD drive, or is there something more to it? Do they need to be coded to the car or anything, or is it just plug and play?

And finally, directly below the DVD drive, is another silver box (looks like an ECU) with 2 wiring plugs going into it. Is that something to do with the entertainment system too, and if so, could that also be faulty?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rich

I can have a look at some diagrams to confirm, but your description tallies with my understanding that the Q7 equipment is largely similar to that in my A6. The silver 'ECU like' box, in that case, is the MMI/Navi control unit.

You might need to tweak options on these units from car to car, but I'd imagine (again I can check when I'm near the words) that only the very latest models will need any 'pairing' - I'm fairly sure it's not required, though.

The first thing I'd suggest is disconnecting the units if you haven't already - whatever's shorted might not have blown, but unfortunately wine is likely to leave a bit of a mess. Short (no pun intended) of poking about in the plugs with a multimeter the easiest way to check what's working and what's not is with VCDS (VAG-COM) - there may be a member nearby who'll be able to scan the car for you (once the equipment is as clean/dry as possible). Have a look at the users map/list in that section (EDIT: Link: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-formerly-vag-com-forum/84603-***vcds-users-map***.html ) - if Preston/Lancashire is any use, let me know.

R

Last edited:
The DVD drive is the lowest MMI part in the Q7, it sits below the floor level of the boot adjacent to the wet tray.

The other parts of the MMI in the boot are the radio, amp, TV (if fitted) and DAB module, the radio and TV fit vertically behind the sat nav, but higher than it. The AMP and DAB (if fitted) modules sit just below the side window level. So I doubt if wine has gone anywhere in the MMI other than the DVD navigation.

But the MMI is a loop, so any failure takes the whole system down. You can unplug the DVD player, only 3 connectors, power, fiber and GPS antenna (blue). But the Fiber needs to be joined together. You can buy a fiber loop back from Audi for about £12 and this will go on the end of the DVD fiber connector and loop the system back together.

Should get you MMI working until you can replace the DVD navigation unit.

*defers to the above*

...s8craig's advice is better than any checking I might've done which would've amounted to the same.

:salute:

R

Expensive bottle of wine, sorry to hear this, good advice from Craig as always :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, mega helpful :)

Here's a picture of the drive, are they easy to remove?

It also shows the other silver box below it, if it helps to identify it?

20121119_181058.jpg

The drive would require a couple of removal keys inserted into the slots at the bottom. Pull the unit out with the keys by pulling forward, but not too hard as it has the cables attached at the back.

I've been trying to find out what the ECU below the nav is, but I cannot find it in ETKA.

Had me looking to, so resorted to Elsa.

Its the adaptive suspension control unit J197

HTH's :)