Poor radio signal with AppRadio2

Zak0123

Reaction score
Hello all,

Apologies if this is a double post with the previous poor signal post, didn't want to hijack that thread as I have pictures.

So basically I've had my AppRadio2 for a while now and I've finally grown sick of the very poor radio reception. I'm pretty sure I have the wrong cable, can anyone help? I have a few cables loose and not sure if they are needed! Also the cable shown doesn't fit both sockets, could this be the problem?

If anyone could offer any insight I would greatly appreciate it! Car is an 2011 A3.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352396284218747ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352396304101863ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352396317135162

I have a similar issue with a Pioneer AVIC! Power is provided via the blue lead (that you're holding in the second picture) on the Pioneer adaptor, but that's not the issue here.

I believe one antenna is for Radio & the other is for Phone or SatNav ...depending on your car configuration! I think the Pioneer connects to the SatNav\GSM Fakra antenna instead of the radio aerial and have ordered a double connector to test my theory.

It should be here in a day or two & I'll post the results when I've fitted it. In the meantime, if you want to try for yourself, it's This one

Last edited:
The lead you have linked to is an RNS-E adaptor for older cars fitted with HF/ZF connectors, the A3 above has HF/HF connectors, not GSM/GPS as you have stated. Audi colour code the connectors specifically.

White = HF
Mustard = ZF
Blue = GPS
Violet = GSM

So the connector in the OP is a dual HF connector, the lead you suggested will not help at all.

Looking at the install guide for the AppRadio 2, the blue wire is the remote to switch on the amp. It may be possibe to use this to power the phantom antenna adaptor I linked to in the original post, but also having looked at the install guide, then this may work as well and be cheaper.

DIN antenna adapter 2xFakra with phantom power.VW SEAT | eBay

It looks good as it makes use of and powers both antenna amps in the A3 and only costs £5.50

Last edited:
The lead you have linked to is an RNS-E adaptor for older cars fitted with HF/ZF connectors, the A3 above has HF/HF connectors, not GSM/GPS as you have stated. Audi colour code the connectors specifically.

White = HF
Mustard = ZF
Blue = GPS
Violet = GSM

So the connector in the OP is a dual HF connector, the lead you suggested will not help at all.

Looking at the install guide for the AppRadio 2, the blue wire is the remote to switch on the amp. It may be possibe to use this to power the phantom antenna adaptor I linked to in the original post, but also having looked at the install guide, then this may work as well and be cheaper.

It looks good as it makes use of and powers both antenna amps in the A3 and only costs £5.50
With your post listing the colour coding of the different Audi connectors, I think you've confirmed that the Pioneer adaptor is connected to the wrong antenna.

Have a look at picture 2 in the original post and you'll see the OE Fakra connector has a Purple\Violet insert in the white double adaptor - which means the Pioneer Radio Adaptor (Blue Fakra) is indeed connected to the GSM antenna, causing poor radio reception.

Problem: There is a locking tab on the Pioneer adaptor plug that prevents if from fitting into the other plug on the Audi connector - rather than cut it off (the simple fix for Zak), I'm prepared to wait for my order to arrive & modify that if necessary\possible, if not your second link should solve the issue - albeit with the locking tab removed.

And since my HU also has SatNav built-in, I may be able to use the second Fakra connector to link to the Shark Fin on the roof (once I've installed a GPS antenna) - instead of having the little box on my dashboard.

Thank you.

Last edited:
That's not the blue colour for the GPS, that is a turquoise which is the universal connector, it fits all other fakra connectors, it is used for repairs or patch cables in the fakra world. And you are correct FAKRA connectors will only mate with the same colours unless a universal is used for one side or both sides.

Your wrong on so many counts it's untrue. You've got it the wrong way around. The picture 2 shows his universal single FAKRA plugged into the dual HF of the A3 back window antennas.

The sharks fin on the roof only has either GPS/GSM or both depending on the config of the car. A car with only a GSM phone prep will have a GSM sharks fin, a car fitted with Sat NAV will have a GPS sharks fin, with GSM phone prep and NAV the sharks fins will be dual GSM/GPS.

The GSM antenna (if fitted) will be connected to the GSM amp and then onto the cradle plate.
The GPS antenna (if fitted ) will be routed to the back of the radio on a single blue connector. (only fitted if the car had sat nav from the factory)

If you do want to use the spare FAKRA connector as you call it, then you would have to reroute that from the boot lid as that's where it goes to.

Attachments

• 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 509
That's not the blue colour for the GPS, that is a turquoise which is the universal connector, it fits all other fakra connectors, it is used for repairs or patch cables in the fakra world. And you are correct FAKRA connectors will only mate with the same colours unless a universal is used for one side or both sides.

Your wrong on so many counts it's untrue. You've got it the wrong way around. The picture 2 shows his universal single FAKRA plugged into the dual HF of the A3 back window antennas.

The sharks fin on the roof only has either GPS/GSM or both depending on the config of the car. A car with only a GSM phone prep will have a GSM sharks fin, a car fitted with Sat NAV will have a GPS sharks fin, with GSM phone prep and NAV the sharks fins will be dual GSM/GPS.

The GSM antenna (if fitted) will be connected to the GSM amp and then onto the cradle plate.
The GPS antenna (if fitted ) will be routed to the back of the radio on a single blue connector. (only fitted if the car had sat nav from the factory)

If you do want to use the spare FAKRA connector as you call it, then you would have to reroute that from the boot lid as that's where it goes to.
I broke your post into separate quotes with the intention of answering each individually - but I've decided it's not worth it! Suffice to say, I'm telling you what colour the Pioneer Radio Fakra is, and you're telling me it's not that colour. lol

When I receive my order, I'll try to remember to take some pictures for you. until then - you've been very helpful, thank you again.

Well I'm amazed as to how well you know the App Radio 2 which is what we were discussing. How little you know of the A3's antenna system and how you completely misled the OP with your information.

Thank you both so much for helping! Craig that cable you posted looks like the right one but I'm happy to wait a couple of days until Artimus' cable arrives. The blue cable that I was holding was indeed the remote wire for the amp I had accidentally pulled out when I took the unit out, doh! Thanks again guys.

White = HF
Mustard = ZF
Blue = GPS
Violet = GSM

Think this one looks good and for £5.50 I might as well try! Craig do you know where the blue wire connects to? Thanks mate!

Well I'm amazed as to how well you know the App Radio 2 which is what we were discussing. How little you know of the A3's antenna system and how you completely misled the OP with your information.

The AVIC installed in my car is an App Radio too, so no need to be amazed at my intimate knowledge of it. :)

okay, after a sleep & a night's work! let's try this again!

using your colour chart Craig, the colour I've highlighted in the chart is the colour of Pioneers radio connector = Blue.

CraigS8 Fakra Colour Code Chart 2

I also went outside and pulled my stereo to take a picture of said plug so you can see it's the same thing.

Fakra

If as you say it is universal & connects to any other Fakra connection, why why can't it be plugged into the other side of Audi's dual connector without cutting off the locator\locking tab?

Zak: my blue 'remote power' cable is split between the pioneer aerial adaptor and the head unit.

Reactions: Zak0123
I've made some progress too! Following the advice from you guys I connected the blue wire on the adapter to the blue remote/amp cable and viola! The signal is so much better! From before being unbearable it is now more than bearable and sometimes it's actually spot on. Is there anything I can do to further boost the signal? It may be perfectly setup it may just be the area that I am in.

Thought I would also take a close up of the two cables being discussed, still have one female slot that has no cable to it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352473718811467ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352473730127215

Reactions: Artimus
Thanks for the Pics & I'm glad you're happy with your radio reception Zak. :icon_thumright:

Mine works, but as you've said, it's not perfect! it's the extra interference I get over the stock Audi unit I replaced that I was hoping to improve on. it may just be that Pioneer's radio reception isn't as powerful as Audi's own, or it could be that losing one of the two connections means a weaker signal at the HU... either way, it's not an ideal situation and I will go on trying to tackle it, but I'm torn between the need for great radio reception & the feasibility of utilising that spare cable as a GPS feed to my HU - which is a decision you don't have to make.

To avoid the confusion I seem to have caused yesterday, I'll not post anymore regarding that particular project though. If I manage to get better reception on the radio, I'll keep you posted.

P.S: still not had that delivery yet. :(

"Zak0123" Does your OEM Shark GPS antenna work with the AppRadio2 ?