A4 Cab - New Headunit Problems

N16MKE

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to this site so please forgive me if this has been covered before!

I just bought a new headunit ( AUDI A4 / S4 6.5" GPS SAT NAV DVD TV MP3 SD USB *NEW* | eBay )

I know it's not the factory Audi unit, but it seems to do more for less cost.. However, when I've come to install it this evening I have two main problems..

- I have no Radio reception? (it worked right up until I took my Symphony head unit out.. So I guess I could have some wiring wrong somewhere?
- The sound I do get only comes through the tweeters it seems.. all of the speakers were working previously?! (I don't have BOSE) Again, I'm thinking I've wired something incorrectly?

The other features of the unit (Sat nav, iPod etc.) are working fine.. this has got me stumped! So I have walked away before I break something..!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

The A4 cabrio isn't listed as supported on the audiosources web site so that could be the issue as the setup is different from the hardtop. Typically in the non Bose system you have the front speakers driven directly off the HU and the rears and sub by a separate amp, so ensure you have the front speaker harness connected to the HU, which should be part of the quadlock adapter. You then have to connect the rear RCA's from the HU to the Quadlock adapter to feed the rear amp as well as connecting up the blue/white strip flying lead to a 12v trigger typically power antenna or remote on on the HU, otherwise the rear amp won't switch on.
The flying lead on the Fakra antenna amp adapter also needs the same 12v trigger otherwise radio reception will be poor. The cabrio is a wierd setup so this is just general info for all A4's but hopefully will narrow it down for you.

The A4 cabrio isn't listed as supported on the audiosources web site so that could be the issue as the setup is different from the hardtop. Typically in the non Bose system you have the front speakers driven directly off the HU and the rears and sub by a separate amp, so ensure you have the front speaker harness connected to the HU, which should be part of the quadlock adapter. You then have to connect the rear RCA's from the HU to the Quadlock adapter to feed the rear amp as well as connecting up the blue/white strip flying lead to a 12v trigger typically power antenna or remote on on the HU, otherwise the rear amp won't switch on.
The flying lead on the Fakra antenna amp adapter also needs the same 12v trigger otherwise radio reception will be poor. The cabrio is a wierd setup so this is just general info for all A4's but hopefully will narrow it down for you.

Thanks Andy, that may explain things.. I think I may have to admit defeat on this one and get someone else to have a go at it for me..

My new question is.. Does anyone know of anywhere in Herts/North London I could get someone to install this for me?!

Thanks for the help guys.. I'm continuing to try and do this myself, I'm getting closer!
I had to play with the loom to get the speakers to work but that is done now.. The only thing that doesn't work is the ariel, I have no radio reception!? Anyone got any ideas!?

Have you connected the blue flying lead on the antenna amp adapter to the power antenna connection on the new HU?
The aerial adapter needs to be powered when the HU is turned on otherwise the aerial amplifier in the Audi aerial will not work and you won't get any reception.

Right, I've given up all hope of getting this to work by myself!

I need some help - can anyone recommend anywhere to take it to to get it installed into my car? I have done a quick search but I don't really know what I'm looking for! Help!

Sorry to drag this old thread up again.. I gave up a while ago on this.. I'm now determined to get this working!

Please could someone take a look at the following images and point me in the right direction of a wiring harness that will actually work!?

Dash2Dash1Dash3
Back of new stereo:New   Back

Back of old (Symphony II) stereo:Symphony II   Back

Thanks for any help in advance..