Afternarket Pioneer HU w\ BOSE?

Artimus

Shortback
Reaction score
I have a Concert Dbl Din headunit & am happy with the volume & quality of the current setup, but I'd like more functionality, so I've ordered a Pioneer AVIC-940BT and I'm now a little worried that it'll overpower the Bose speaker\Amp setup. I don't want ear-splitting, nose-bleed sound, I prefer quality - max volume should never happen, but I want to be able to hear it easily when I drive with the window open an inch or two.

Is anybody using a powerful aftermarket HU with the Bose speakers\amp package & how does it sound?

Cheers.

The power of the HU is irrelevant as the Bose system is fully amped. You feed the pre-outs (unamplified) signals to the Bose amp, the internal HU amp is not used at all.

Reactions: Artimus
Ah, thanks! I think i will be happy with that scenario as long as the Pioneer's line output frequency is similar to that of the Concert's, but even if it isn't I should be able to adjust it with the Pioneer's EQ, right?.

You'll notice you have far more range on the Pioneer. The EQ on the Concert is artificially flattened on the Bose system ("no highs, no lows, it must be Bose") so the Bass & Treble controls will actually work.

Sounds great ...no pun intended, Thanks Andy. :thumbsup:

One more question ...do you know anybody on the forum within reach of south west Hertfordshire that might like to earn a few sheckles fitting & coding this for me once it arrives? They could also code out the airbag light that came up after fitting a switch light earlier. :blush:

just a quick update:

I had the HU fitted yesterday & it sounds much better, just like AndyMac said it would. I'm chuffed about the SQ of the setup & am still trying to find a happy medium (re: frequency) for the eclectic range of music that I listen too (just about anything except that squeaky Jazz type crap ..which does my head in. :tocktock:). I just need someone with Audi specific knowledge & VCDS to code this on the CAN-BUS, as it's supposed to have the capability to read & display certain info! but that can wait until I've learned how to operate the basics first.

Radio Operation:

Button Panel (bottom left) removed for security:

Let the fun commence. :hi: