HELP: Concert II with Bose to Aftermarket Head Unit conversion

Nanz

Reaction score
Hey guys

I know there are a number of threads already in this forum with this same type of question, and therefore I am hoping to build a single thread here that others can refer to to find the answer to my question:

What is required for a Concert II with Bose (Single DIN) to aftermarket head unit conversion?

If someone can please list the parts (and part numbers) and links to the parts that would be much appreciated.

Looking at getting one of these: Alpine iDA-X313 Bluetooth

The reason I want to go this way is like many others here:
  • Its expensive to do the Double Din conversion with an RNS-E (or similar) unit.
  • The iPod / iPhone / Aux add-ons like the Dension unit are not really the best and the headunit functionality is quite limited.
  • Aftermarket units have more functionality and integrate better with mp3 players, ipods & iphones.

If your Concert II is single DIN then you should be one of the last A3's on the older style mini-ISO connections (rather than the current Quadlock plugs)
You need a fascia adapter, mini ISO to RCA adapter to feed the Bose amp and an antenna amp adapter (ISO). But be aware that aftermarket HU's don't integrate well with the Bose amp and you may get popping issues when adjusting the settings on the HU or changing track. This is normal and seems to depend on the HU you fit - there is no definitive answer you just have to try it and see. If you do get popping then you'll need to swap the RCA adapter for the speaker input adapter. This gets rid of the popping but is inferior as it uses high level speaker outputs from your HU rather than the clean RCA outputs.
mini ISO to RCA adapter
CT24AU04 Facia Plate for Audi A3 2003>
ISO antenna adapter
CT27AA05 Aerial/Antenna VAG Active ISO Adaptor
RCA input adapter
Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers
Or Speaker input adapter
Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers

Hey AndyMac, thanks for the info mate, pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

Do you have any recommendations for a HU that works well with the Bose amp? I would rather use the RCA adapters as I assume they give a much cleaner sound.

But be aware that aftermarket HU's don't integrate well with the Bose amp and you may get popping issues when adjusting the settings on the HU or changing track. This is normal and seems to depend on the HU you fit - there is no definitive answer you just have to try it and see. If you do get popping then you'll need to swap the RCA adapter for the speaker input adapter. This gets rid of the popping but is inferior as it uses high level speaker outputs from your HU rather than the clean RCA outputs.

Hey Andy

Will this work to fix the popping issue?
Ground Loop Isolator
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ground-loop-isolator-33172

No GLI's are for alternator whine caused by grounding issues between the HU and the amp. The popping issue is caused by the wierd capacitor array on the input stage to the Bose amp. This gets shorted out by conventional HU RCA's as the HU will mute them when it is doing something electrically noisy like switching source or changing track. This muting discharges the capacitors in the Bose amp causing the loud pop.
I don't think anyone has kept a record of which HU's cause this and which don't. I know that Becker and Blaupunkt HU's don't cause any issues, but there are far more that do pop than don't. Best option really is to upgrade your Bose speakers all round and drive them off the HU bypassing the Bose setup altogether. You can't drive the Bose speakers directly off an aftermarket HU as they are 1.5 ohm impedance and they will fry a conventional 4 ohm amp.

Best option really is to upgrade your Bose speakers all round and drive them off the HU bypassing the Bose setup altogether. You can't drive the Bose speakers directly off an aftermarket HU as they are 1.5 ohm impedance and they will fry a conventional 4 ohm amp.

What involved wiring wise to replace all the Bose speakers? Do I need to take the car apart to lay the wiring through the doors or can I use the existing wiring? Also would that mean that I cannot use the Bose sub and Amp either?

No you can pick up the wiring from the Bose amp in the boot but you then have to run new cable all the way back to the HU.
Easier to just rewire. You'll have total access to the rears anyway when you change the speakers, so it's really only the fronts which involve extra work. To access the rears you have to remove the door sill and footwell trim anyway as they are all linked together so access is not a problem. The Bose sub will still pop if you wire it in, not quite as annoying as it is in the boot, but still annoying nonetheless. Take the opportunity to either replace it (stealth option or boot hogger) as this will dramatically improve the sound, or just replace the Bose sub amp with a 2 channel aftermarket amp that is 1 ohm stable in 2 channel mode, or 2 ohm stable bridged.

No you can pick up the wiring from the Bose amp in the boot but you then have to run new cable all the way back to the HU.
Easier to just rewire. You'll have total access to the rears anyway when you change the speakers, so it's really only the fronts which involve extra work. To access the rears you have to remove the door sill and footwell trim anyway as they are all linked together so access is not a problem. The Bose sub will still pop if you wire it in, not quite as annoying as it is in the boot, but still annoying nonetheless. Take the opportunity to either replace it (stealth option or boot hogger) as this will dramatically improve the sound, or just replace the Bose sub amp with a 2 channel aftermarket amp that is 1 ohm stable in 2 channel mode, or 2 ohm stable bridged.

The more i look into just trying to get a decent stereo with mp3 capability / bluetooth, the more cost it seems to mount too.

I really don't want to have to wire new speakers and an amp as that takes up my cost quite a bit. I wish Audi would have just installed a common amp and speaker setup to make switching the HU's easier!

I would hate to buy the HU and then find this annoying popping sound, then being forced to upgrade all the speakers and the amp, its just one of those situations I guess.

Thanks for your help Andy, you have amazing knowledge of these cars audio systems.

By the way, do you know what it would cost to get all this done by a pro? (esp if I consider going down this route)

They did, it was called the non Bose system!
Don't know why you are against the Dension ICELink or Connects2 option as that is what it's there for

Reactions: Nanz
They did, it was called the non Bose system!
Don't know why you are against the Dension ICELink or Connects2 option as that is what it's there for

Not completely against those units Andy, just wanted to see if it was viable to have a better head unit that did everything I wanted. I think I will now go with a Dension unit.

Looking at either:
Gateway 300 | iPod car adapter, iPhone car adapter, USB car adapter
iGateway | Text Capability | Full iPod/iPhone control

Looking at these as they will give me the song info on the dash. Installation looks quite straight forward, just need to get me a drill so that I can put the cables through to the glovebox.

Really want to thank you for all your help Andy, I hope others that come to this thread also find it as helpful as I have.

Hi Andy, You seem to have answers to most queries! Mine is simple.. my front passenger speaker just started a crackling sound few days ago, however I cant get the door panel off to get to the speaker.. please help..

Hi Andy, You seem to have answers to most queries! Mine is simple.. my front passenger speaker just started a crackling sound few days ago, however I cant get the door panel off to get to the speaker.. please help..
Hi Andy hope this post is still active I have just read through theses posts and have now wondered if you could help me I have an audi a4 b7 with bose and I'm wanting to install this Kenwood DDX9716BTS 7" with the Connects2 CTKAU04 Audi A4 B7 2007 - 2009 Double Din Fitting kit do you think I'd run into any problems, ie speaker popping etc... Keeping my fingers crossed regards Paul

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk