Fitted Blaupunkt DAB radio today

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Probably the easiest HU install I've ever done. Maystar fascia fits like a dream and matches perfectly. The BP Woodstock 54 has all the same bizarre connections as the original Audi HU (mini-ISO), although I did need to ad a few pins to the power ISO.
The aerial was also pretty easy to run round the headlining.
Now all I need to do is work out how to drive the thing, can only seem to get 80's pop channels at the moment, oh and 5live in glorious digital quality, what a difference.

Oh forgot to mention, it has an SD RAM card, so you can either record onto it (up to 2 hours) or play stuff from it, and of course pause & rewind live radio.

Here it is:
DABfront.jpg

857774d4.jpg

Two questions, the Blaupunkt website says it takes MMC cards. Does it also take SD cards and if so is there a size limit (e.g. 1 gig). Secondly do you know if I can use my installed Nokia car kit with this?

But its looking sweet in your car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Carlos

Andy- very nice.

Glad Blau now doing face offs instead of stupid of the stupid card key security thingy.

Yes the card slot does both SD & MMC it came with a free 128MB SD card, not sure what the limit is. It states max 2 hour recording, so I guess whatever that equates to, it supports a car kit, but no idea which ones.
It plays MP3's on CD and/or SD RAM, also has 2 Auxillary inputs

TBH I've never been that impressed with BP, but I've probably been put off by all the low end factory fit garbage that they have in VAG cars. This unit is pretty inoffensive looking compared to the ultra bling Las Vegas "style" HU's that seem to be so popular with the Saxo kids.

Isn't MMC (multi-media memory card) just the generic name for memory cards, and SD (secure digital) the specific format of card?

Basically they all do the same thing but were developed seperately. You will probably find the technology merging sooner or later into one world standard....

As far as I know there are:
SD Secure Digital (and MiniSD that fits into a normal SD carrier)
MMC Multi-media Cards
CF Compact Flash
IBM Microdrive
Sony Memory stick

And probably others too.

http://www.mmca.org/technology/about/

http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html

Andy!!!

Long time no-speak... How are you?

It's nice to see someone else on the forum with the same HU - and one of the better-informed in the audio realm too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How are you finding the DAB54? I've had mine in for about 18 months and it's been quite enjoyable throughout. I've found the recording function to be a bit hit and miss depending on the brand of card and how it's been formatted; but besides that it's all good. The (variable) 20 second cache for recording has proved a really clever addition too (This and the improved 4096 colour back-light are the main improvements in spec. over the original DAB53).

I was quite impressed with the built-in EQ - I wasn't expecting to have control of badwidth for each point on the spectrum. Have you tried the optional calibration microphone yet? ... I was expecting that one to be more of a party trick for pub car-parks; but it seems to work quite well. I went a little bit soft in the head and strapped it between the two headrests in the front, and got out of the car to perform the calibration - It did give pretty good results though, needing only a little bit of tweaking to come-up with a basic EQ setting I thought suited the car's acoustics quite well.

On the MMC vs. SD card thing - The two are independant formats; but rather similar (in much the same way as +R and -R DVD) - as stated; the DAB54 is happy to read and write to both; but of course SD is preferable because they're quicker (and much more widely available now too) - as far as size is concerned; I've run a few different brands of 512MB card without any problems; but the unit seems to be a little more picky when it comes to 1GB. I have a couple of Dane-Elec 1GB SD cards that it doesn't like - it reports formatting and recording OK; but when you go to play back it's a little confused.

Blaupunkt's UK Tech-guy has had me test a couple of cards we've had in stock at work on them; but I've only tested a couple so far so it'd be unfair to say that 1GB cards are incompatible - My assumption that if they were asking me to test some, there can't be a firmware limitation on size was confirmed and I was told it's just down to compatibility of the silicone.

...I must confess though; having decided I'll keep my A3 for a while longer than originally planned, I'm considering installing a 7" motorised TFT to go with a car-pc to replace the DAB54; but there are complications and expense that (atm) are _just_ keeping me from it. Whatever PC I build it'll need to have a DVB/DAB tuner capable of working on the move; once you've had the DAB54 experience there's no going back!

Anyway, if you have any queries regarding your HU and other Blaupunkt bits related to it; give me a shout, if I can't help, I'm in touch with enough bods at Blaupunkt who can...

Take care,

Rob.

To tie up the MMC Vs. SD

MMC's came out first. Then came SD cards, only difference being a minute size difference (not worth mentioning) theyre faster (as mentioned before) and they have a write-protect switch on them. In addition, IIRC, they have extra protection to deal with copyright information to prevent the copying of copyright files... although i've never seen it used. Some people claim that files copied to a SD Card take up extra space for the copyright information. This protection though doest not prevent files that you have copied yourself onto the sd-card.

/endsadbastardmode /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

have had a blaupunkt woodstock dab52 in my van for about 3.5 years now, only bought it so i can listen to talksport for 13 hrs each day, reception has always been perfect, but cant see a thing on the display when the sun is out, looks like they have solved the display problem on the 54 using lcd.

My only query up to now was an annoying beep every 30 seconds, which turned out to be the traffic select, which is not supported in the UK. Really handy that if you inadvertently press the traffic button there is absolutely nothing on the display that tells you.
The manual is possibly the worst I've ever come across, no troubleshooting guide, and the install guide is 2 pages at the end, next to useless.
Apart from that I'm surprisingly impressed with the sound quality as it's only running the standard speakers & sub in the Avant (bypassed the rear speaker amp).
Faction, I'd be interested to know how you wire up a sub/amp as it only has rear/front pre-outs but does have a single pin for sub, but no explanation.

I stand corrected, you do get a tiny little car icon on the screen when you select traffic.

Sorry it's taken me ages to get back to this one Andy; it's been one of those weeks!

...Yeah I remember I was a little confused by the line/sub-out arrangement...

I didn't actually figure out the electronics involved in the way Blaupunkt have implemented it; one of the guys I know at Blaupunkt was sending me a roof-mount combined Analogue/DAB antenna; so I asked him to throw in one of the suitable RCA harnesses - I hooked that up; connected the flyleads from that to the Amp; and it just works - I didn't really spend too much time wondering why after that.

I can't even remember what the install procedure was tbh; I know the harness comes with one of the mini-ISO connectors and a spare pin which is inserted into the power/ground/ignition/lighting etc. block - I can't remember if there was anything else involved though.

I'll pull my HU out and take a closer look if you're still stuck...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> If you need an line/sub-out RCA harness; give me a shout - we should still have one or two at work, and they're probably cheaper than from most suppliers carrying Blaupunkt accessories (plus I'll get it slightly cheaper and I can Royail Mail special delivery instead of you getting charged £7 for CityLink).