Phatnoise box installed

GregC

Reaction score

Bought one of these from ebay - cost £140, including shipping. I now have it installed in place of the 6CD changer.

Really impressed with it so far, having all my music in the car is awesome, sound quality (to my ears) is as good as the CD player was and the menu's are easy to understand, you get an American voice saying the name of each album/artist/playlist as you run through the options.

The install was really easy, pretty much a direct swap for the CD, you do need a special cable for the Audi (they use a round connector as opposed to the oblong one that the VW's use). Mine came with this cable but I am going to swap it for an OEM Audi one as the quality of the cable is a little lacking.

In all highly recommended but would never pay the £500 + that Audi want for the unit.

Cheers,

Greg

Nice one Greg, i have been considering this upgrade for a while. just a couple of questions:

can you buy the Audi phatbox adater seperately from a UK dealer?

Did you buy from a german/us/uk supplier, if so what was the shipping and import costs?

cheers.

As requested.
Link to Item.

I am finding out about the cable but the dealership seemed to think it would be readily available (the website they use was down at the weekend when I went in.

Greg

I paid £48 for a cable from the dealers for mine, which I thought was a lot, considering I'd just paid £300 for the phatnoise from ebay, but that was 12 months ago.

Craig

not trying to be funny here, but what did you ask for when ordering the cable? The last time i mentioned the word phatbox in an audi dealership they looked at me as if i had just spoke fluent russian...

Guess what i'm really asking: is there a specific part number?

Yeah they took quite a bit of convincing from me that such a cable existed.

Especially when I said I wanted it for an S8, they said no such cable existed.

But if you ask for an A4 phatnoise cable, that does exist, sorry I dont have the part number anymore, it was a while back now.

You may have to explain what the phatnoise is and that it replaces the CD changer, that may help.

Craig

haha, tbh i rekon i stand more chance wearing black trousers, a striped top, white gloves and trying to mime it.