Help - Wrong CD Changer connector

f13ldy

Reaction score
I've just received my Audi Phatnoise Phatbox with the 13-pin din connector, and when I went to swap out the standard Panasonic DP9060 6-CD CD Changer I find out that the connector looks like this:
pancdchanger.jpg

So it looks like the dealership didn't use a standard Audi CD Changer cable, but a propriety Panasonic one.

There are several companies that sell cables that allow you to use different Panasonic CD Changers with the default Audi 13-pin din connector, and they look like this:
PC9-305.jpg

So what I need is the same cable but instead of a male 16-pin square connector on the right, it needs to be female. And the 13-pin din can stay as it is (i.e. male).

All the companies I have called in the UK only sell off-the shelf cables, does anyone know of someone who could make them up... and who know the correct wiring configuration. I could have a go myself but I would need the pin outs for the above convertor cable... and I can't find those anywhere.

Cheers
Carlos

You need to trace back the CD changer end of the cable to where it plugs into the Audi changer lead. This is located in the rear LHS cubbyhole right back past the rear seatbelt reel.
This will give you the standard male 13 pin connector.
The lead you have above is part of the Panasonic changer.

Hi,

That is also what I would have expected but the same cable goes all the way to the head unit. I took up quite a lot of trim to trace it back and its definitely one un-interrupted cable.

I guess the alternative to a convertor is just to buy a complete Audi CD changer harness and rewire that to the HU, but its pretty pricey at £55. Anyone sell those things cheaper??

Cheers

Would this Blaupunkt harness work?

Ebay

My stereo is an Audi Chorus II (Matsushita) so the mini ISO connector should be the same.. no????

Carlos

Yep, that's the one, but worth checking that the mini-ISO at the back of the HU is the multicoloured one i.e. the one that slides apart. Some Audi's have a single solid black 20 pin connector so you can't plug in to it without removing the whole thing and losing the DIS display and the rear amp.
The mutil coloured one slides apart so you can remove/replace each section independently.
It looks like this:
AudiMiniISOblock.jpg

Cool, thanks Andymac. This ****** Phatnoise better be worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got the Blaupunkt 13-pin din connector off Ebay. So now I have a CD changer cable with a 13 pin din socket on one end and a mini-iso connector on the other.

9f_1_b.JPG

48_1_b.JPG

I took out the Chorus headunit and plugged the mini-iso connector in, then I hooked up the phatnoise phatbox to the 13-pin din (via the Audi adaptor that came with the Phatnoise).

What do I do with the red wire (with the fuse) and the brown wire (see pics)?? because as it is there is no life on the Phatbox when I press CD on the HU.

Cheers

My Phatnoise runs off the CD connector, round 13 Pin DIN that was in the boot, now additional power.

It is a 1999 Car, did the setup vary much (to the extent you need a seperate power lead?)

Greg

Sorry just re-read the post. The loom has been hacked and the fuse line added (you can see where they've used heat shrink to insulate the joint.
So don't worry Greg, I though he meant the phatbox had a seperate power connection.
BrainW, check which pin the brown wire is going to.
The previous owner probably just hacked the remote on line on the loom to drive an amp or iPOD or something.
If the brown wire is going to the middle pin on the bottom row, and all the other pins are unmolested then you just need to cut off the fuse and re-connect the brown wire to the red wire. Check the top of the head unit for the correct pin-outs.
If the brown wire is earth then it should be going to the left middle pin (as you look at the socket face), and there should then be spare wire floating for remote on. In this case just reconnect the red to this wire.

This is a bit worrying as I have just ordered a VW Phatbox that should go straight onto the multiCD lead. Fingers crossed.

Hi Scotty - just look in the boot and trace the CD changer cable, you should find that the cable goes for a foot or two and then has a round connector - this is what you have to unplug and fit the Audi cable that comes with the Phatnoise into.

If you don't get an Audi cable I believe the part number is 000 051 592C.

Enjoy.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif