been stitched up on ebay! any advise on rockford fosgate repair.

darby7

Reaction score
hi all
i just received my rockford fosgate rfx9320r head unit from ebay. on arrival the thing don't work!! really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif off!!!

tried it on a battery charger, wired up the permanant live and the earth and no dramas (the face flips down and cd's can be ejected) but put some power to the switchable live and the thing starts to make a noise and the wire starts to cook! any in line fuses are instantly blown, if you bypass the fuse the wires get really hot and start glowing!

any advise?
any similar experiences?
how much do we reckon to repair?
thanks

If you've bypassed the fuse then chances are you've done some really big damage to the unit. The fuse would only blow if there's a short, without the fuse then you will have fried the PCB, lucky really the thing didn't catch fire. Not worth repairing. You're looking at £50+ just for a tech to pull it apart, let alone fix it.
If the unit didn't work and was advertised as working then you have full recourse to send it back for a refund, unfortunately it's a bit late now.
I've only had really good experiences with private sellers when the goods are faulty as they don't want negative feedback.

Any burning smell and/or hot wires then I would say its well knackered. You should not run a radio from a battery charger anyway as it is not a stable source of 12V.
I have a battery jump unit from maplin which is basically a portable 12v battery with jump leads on but also a 12 V cig lighter output. Cost me £20 and well worth it.

thanks for all the info.

when i received the stereo it was clear it didn't work. it smelled like it was burnt out + the 2 live wires had both been cut before the fuses which sent the alarms ringing straight away!

i have over a 400 ebay score, this is my first bad one! the bloke had good feedback but turns out he gave some fake info so pretty sure he was aware.

trying for a refund through paypal, see what happens......
thanks

I copped for some duff stuff off ebay, and didnt get nowhere with the snide mutha fooker who sold me a 'internet ready' laptop which I ended up spending £200plus to re-install windows and other stuff, went thro the proper channels with ebay's so called dispute forum..........what a waste of time, it turned out he was sellin a few of these dodgy laptops and they were all duff, he got a load of negs within days then he was removed, never got a bean back.

The sellers probably under a different user name now, my advice is dont buy anything electrical as 50% of the items sold are already ******!