Which front components for 8l s3 with bose

S3 Andy

Reaction score
Finally getting round to sorting out the front speakers which have been blown for aslong as I can remember.

I've ordered the MDF adapter plates from Andy Mac on ebay but can't work out which front componets to go for.

I'll be running them just off the standard headunit/bose amp and worked out i need somthing with a mounting debth of 55mm or less and preferably 2 ohms?

Top volume on the bose was plenty for me, so I won't be changing the amp or headunit as i like oem look. Sound quality does matter tho.

What would you guys go for? Willing to spend around £100, but if I can get the same sound quality at bose amp volumes for less then I'll be happy.

Closest i've found is INFINITY KAPPA 50.9 might just be too deep?

INFINITY KAPPA 50.9 5" INCH/13CM 225 WATT 2 WAY COMPONENT KIT SAME DAY DESPATCH | eBay

or Edge ED305s which seam a bit budget.

Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers

Thanks!

Last edited:
No aftermarket speakers work that well with the Bose amp. The Bose fronts are 1.5 ohm so even 2 ohm units need to be driven harder to get the same output. IIRC those Infinitys have a really big tweeter which won't fit.

fitted the front speakers, but am going to have to amp them. I have a decent amp and cabling sat in the garage... Do you sell the lead to convert the 8L bose amp connectors to rca + remote on? (I've read your guide about soldering thin strips to aviod cutting, but im a clown with soldering stuff - shakey hands!)

Also, I managed to buy 2 sets of 5.25 front components. is it possible to mount one set of these using the rear adapter plates you sell for coax speakers? (appreciate the tweeter will need mounting separately, but think I could knock something up myself for that... unless you sell a kit for this?)

Last thing, can I amp the oem subs from 2 channels of an infinity RA5004 450w amp with gain turned down or will it just blow them because of the ohms being higher? It'll only be a temporary thing as will buy the sub box after summer holiday....

In order to amp the fronts you'd need to either pick up the feeds from the Bose amp in the boot or run new RCA cable from the HU. The RCA route would mean unplugging the stock Audi loom that feeds the amp with both front & rear pre-outs so you'd then lose the rears and the stock sub.
My adapter is purely to pick up feeds from the Bose sub loom not the main Bose cabin amp. The sub loom only has one one front and one rear channel on it so no use for anything other than a sub amp.
You can't drive the stock sub with the Infinity amp as they are 1 ohm impedance which will just cause the amp to shut down, not sure what this would achieve either as the Bose subwoofer itself is already being driven to the limit by the tiny Bose sub amp.
With the Bose system you really have to replace everything or leave as is, it's all or nothing apart from adding a proper sub which is the best compromise.
My rear adapters are 6.5" so smaller speakers won't fit