A6 c5 2000 head unit swap

TwistedMind

Long Live The A6
Reaction score
Afternoon all
i need to swap out my old head unit, it's finally given up. My question is can I swap it for a more upto date head unit but still have the steering wheel controls working ????

If so can anybody point me in the right direction.

Many thanks !!!!!!

Ok, update...... Dropped in a cheap sony unit (got to start somwhere on a budget) !

Had no idea what a nightmare this could be. I have the correct audio ISO and will be picking up the front door speakers direct from the ISO plug. Total rewire of the rear door speakers and a new sub. Audi shat sub on ebay lol.

The question is, if i bring the new rear door speaker wires to the old sub location..... can i pick up the wiring to them from the old sub red connection port (save wiring them through the door links) Looks like a pain job i could do without.

Thanks!

Yes you can, not sure on the pin outs for the A6, here are the ones from an B6 A4, maybe similar. Easiest way to check is connect an AA battery across the terminals to see which is left & right, you will hear a slight pop when you have the right ones.
B6rear-subpinout.jpg

Reactions: TwistedMind
Just a quick update. Thanks Andy for the diagram, wasn't the same but the speaker cables were in the same place (just a different colour)
)new head unit in. Stereo had a switch wire, must have come via the phone kit !! All speakers working without taking off door cards and pillers
just need a new sub and amp. Door speaker upgrade next.

Cheers all

Last edited: