technical amp question + looking for used 12" dual voicecoil sub

darby7

Reaction score
got a techie question for you guys....

i'm running a 6 channel denon dca-800 amp. it's been with me for some years, i really rate this amp even though it's pretty old!
do you think i may have problems if i uprate the head unit preouts to 5 volt? i think this amp was made when headunit preouts didn't exeed 2v.....
any thoughts?

does anyone have any tech spec on this amp? rms performance at 4 & 2 ohm?
can't find nothing on the web....

i'm in the market for a used 12" sub. anyone got a kicker l5 or l7, infinity perfect 12, alpine type r, jl w3v2 or similar for sale?

I doubt you'd have any problems using 5v pre-out with this amp. 5v is only achieved at max power and even then is attenuated by the RCA length. Given 5m RCA's I doubt you'd see more than 3v at max volume at the amp input.

donn't know about this amp, but most 6 channel amps i've seen wont let you drop 2 ohm across, certainly wouldn't be bridging it, those are just immediate thoughts, you could check the web or www.talkaudio.co.uk forum is very good for info.

the amp has got a 2 ohm switch.
i'm running a single 12" 4 ohm jl 12w0 at the moment from the sub channel, i want to get a 2ohm sub to get more from the amp.
the way i understand it is i need a dual 4 ohm voicecoil sub..... i then wire both coils in parallel to get it to 2 ohm. is that correct? if i get a dual 2 ohm and just wire one side am i using the full sub's potential?
thanks for the advise guys, keep it coming.

does anyone know if the 2 ohm switch on my amp affects all channels or just the sub channel?
cheers

your right 2 of 4ohm in parallel, or 1 ohm in series gives 2 ohm

if you only wire up one voice coil only one will work so no you wont be getting full out a sub like that, it maybe even damaging, i've never seen anyone try to wire up just one vc can't imagine it helping

Most amps have a low impedance switch but you need to check if this can be used when bridging the amp. Most amps can only be used at 2 ohm when unbridged.

this is the kind of info i'm looking for. the amp is too old for Denon to help me out.
my system sounds wicked but if there's any room for improvement i'm up for it......i don't want to get a 2 ohm sub if my amp will struggle though!
cheers

Running a 2ohm sub won't improve the sound quality, it'll just increase the power.

i know, this is what i would like. i'm in the market for a sub that has a smaller sealed box volume so may as well get a 2ohm.

I have an Kicker Solobaric L7 Dual-4ohm 2004/05 model for sale if your interested.

KICKER-04S12L74.jpg

KICKER-04S12L74-extra1.jpg

not really too sure....... i'm considering picking one a sub from tates as i'm over there in 2 weeks. please let me know your price though, you can call me on 07900586986. cheers

tates is supposed to be the STATES!
it's not some car audio shop!!!!!! (idiot!)