Volks AutosEM Tuning
    imported_monkeytrousers

Audi Symphony CD - how best to improve sound?

Hello

My car has the standard Audi Symphony CD / tape / radio and the sound quality is not great - mainly the bass which is non-existent even when on max.

Is it the CD player itself or the speakers that are to blame?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Audi Symphony CD - how best to improve sound?

I am sure a nice Andy Mac Stealth Sub would go a long way to improving things.

Neutral

Status

Similar question guys - i have the standard and was considering upgrading the non existent bass - thinking about a small sub - nothing too expensive - any suggestions appreciated

Numptie of the highest order

Status

see above, andymacs stealth subs look great and do the job!

VW + Audi mad

Status

That sounds good! So, what would be next after the sub upgrade? Would you go speakers for better quality units with the HU last??

If its speakers, would you recommend JL audio stuff or Alpine / Infinity / JBL etc etc?

How much for one of these sub upgrades BTW? The sound quality in my A3 is ar$e.

Thanks

Status

Sub first, then front speakers, then HU
    Basically anything is better than the standard speakers so really depends how much you wanna spend.
    50-75 Alpine/Kenwood
    100+ Infinity
    400 - MB Quart

There's a limit to the SQ you can get from speakers mounted on a hardboard door card so I wouldn't go mad - 120 max
    Just the sub upgrade on its own will make the most difference, then you can take it from there.

Pricing is as follows:

A3/S3 with Concert non-Bose system

Sub enclosure (finished in satin black with gold speaker terminals, wiring & wadding) - 95
    JL Audio 6.5" sub (JL-6W0-4) - 85
    Alpine MRV-F400 4 channel 200w RMS amp - 90 (secondhand & tested)
    Wiring (30amp power cable, earth lead and mini RCA loom to hook into the Audi sub loom) - 35
    Optional Installation - 60
    You need a 4 ch amp with the non Bose as the rear speakers are powered off the OEM sub amp.
    If you're not worried about boot space then it is cheaper to go with a normal 10" sub with a ported or sealed enclosure, there's some really good deals around at the moment.

VW + Audi mad

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're not worried about boot space then it is cheaper to go with a normal 10" sub with a ported or sealed enclosure, there's some really good deals around at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your honesty! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img] I've got other suggestions for my own car but don't want to post steal (Vibe CBR10 active sub etc).

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    You need a 4 ch amp with the non Bose as the rear speakers are powered off the OEM sub amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean you don't need the Amp for a Bose install or does it mean that you simply don't need a 4 channel one? Does it make a difference to the price if it's Bose or not?

Also, how easy is it to revert back to the OEM sub should I decide to sell the car at a future date?

Neutral

Status

I can vouch for the AndyMac stealth sub, I installed mine on Tuesday and it makes a world of difference.
    Even though i already had the Bose sound system the AndyMac sub increases the bass 'ten fold'
    I cant imagine how poor the standard system is (non Bose). I would definatley recommend the sub upgrade,
    Andy has obviously put a lot of hard work into it and i believe it is well work the money (cos I've still got all of my boot space).
    Thanks again Andy top marks...

Chris