Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

2005 8p - replacement HU

OK so I have in place my trusty but ancient Grundig RDS5600 with connection to (also trusty but ancient) DAB box. So far so good - I know I need to do some more to sort out the wiring to the rear and sub and I'm going to put in the Parrot kit I got off eBay soon.

I know I need an ign feed from the fusebox - or a canbus adapter - but I'm wondering if there's anywhere to take a signal for Speed Controlled volume and illumination? Do I need to get these from the canbus?

Also (mine is the non-Bose with rear amp/sub setup) - can I take just the line level signal (common, LR, RR), or does the amp need some extra signals to switch on/off? The pinout on top of the Audi HU shows connections for Can L and Can H which are connected in the 20-pin mini ISO - I assume if they are there they must do something, but I don't have any outputs on my HU that correspond.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    CAN L & CAN H is the CANBUS - all it really does is tell the HU when the ignition is on/off/keys out and dims the display when the lights are on. A CANBUS emulator will convert these to the conventional voltage signals, expensive option though
    All you need for the rear/sub amp is the RCA input ISO adapter PC9-404 or 410
    Bare in mind you will need to fade to rear quite a bit to balance the puny Audi amp with the higher power now going to the fronts from the Grundig.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Andy, much appreciated (and I feel a fool now! - it should've been obvious!) - I would quite like the illumination and Speed Controlled vol - I guess the canbus emulator is the only way to do these?

BTW - the Pre-outs on my old Grundig are on a 20 pin mini ISO - it's just that the pinout is totally different from AUDI - not least because it also has the connections for the Grundig DAB box as well as a CD changer and the phone in and mutes - it was a pretty advanced unit at the time, but there was no canbus then.