Question about Aerial adaptors...

Rom

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Havent got the part number to hand...

But basically iso adaptor came today, which happened to be wrong. Id guess it was maybe for a non bose setup. Looked like one massive plug, rather than what i have.
Which conversely, after looking, i dont even need really, as my A3 04 has an iso plug already for the power side of things.

With the aerial, ive plugged the square (fakra?) plug into the car, which has a silver tube on it, then a normal aerial lead comes out of it, which is into the headunit.
This leaves the standard stubby aerial lead un used though, is this right ? I was expecting to have to plug that in to my headunit via a normal aerial adaptor, and the fakra thing was just for the amplifier ?

You can use either, but both need a power converter to feed 12v down the aerial cable. The adapter isn't just an adapter, it connects to the 12v power antenna feed from the HU then feeds it down the coax to the Audi aerial amplifier

Yeah ive got it wired up, it did tune in (have no amp in there yet so couldnt hear it)
Just seems odd to not be using the actual Audi coax cable at all ?

Does the actual signal come through the fakra connector too ? I figured it was only for the amplifier portion, and the signal was still down the coax. Hence thinking id need both.

Can I jump on the thread and ask what adaptors are needed to fit a concert II+ (Or symphony II+) into a 2007 A3 with standard double din concert.

i assume its not just a straight swap?

Cheers!

Later Audi's have 2 aerials, one ISO and one Fakra. When adding an aftermarket HU then you only need to use one, but as said you still need an antenna amplifier adapter with either to feed power down the cable

Ah ok so you would need an adaptor that takes the earlier (2007) areal lead in the car and splits it into two for the newer (2012) head unit?

Cheers Andymac!

Andy, the amplifier get power through the fakra connector right ?
The loom i got has the adaptor wired up to the remote lead of the HU. Is that enough power for it ? Is it just a switching feed, or an actual supply ?
As remote is only rated for 300ma. So could wire it up to the ign live (that i put in) unless that is too much power ?
Only tried the radio in the workshop, but didnt tune well at all. Normally cars will tune to at least the bigger (BBC etc) stations.

Heres the lead i bought

CT20AU04 Harness Adaptor for Audi vehicles 2004>

Can I jump on the thread and ask what adaptors are needed to fit a concert II+ (Or symphony II+) into a 2007 A3 with standard double din concert.

i assume its not just a straight swap?

Cheers!

What unit is fitted to the car already, as should already have a newer type head unit afaik.

It should be wired up to the power antenna feed, although the draw is minimal I think this feed is rated a lot higher than remote on, which is purely a relay trigger.

Ill have to recheck tuesday when im back at work...but pretty sure the HU iso only has 1 blue/white wire for remote. No power antenna wire i dont think, 2 powers, earth, and illumination....which is a whole other story!

Tried the radio outside today, and was awful. Seemed slightly better when i pulled the unit from the dash. What exactly is that silver tube like thing ? Ill try wiring it up to a proper 12v feed, hopefully its just a case of its not getting enough power for the amplifier.