I'm planning to upgrade the speakers in my 2007 A4 cab, I haven't got BOSE and I'm wanting to keep the stock HU as I prefer the OEM look in the dash.
Want to upgrade front door speakers and the rear panel speakers, plus hopefully a sub in the ski pass space between the rear seats. I'm trying to avoid using additional amps for the speakers, as a result I am looking at some alpine speakers which are relatively low power (25watt RMS) also shallow mount so should fit in the standard spaces and also be ok running off the factory HU. I'm not sure how to remove the front door cards but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a guide somewhere online, but if anyone has a link (have searched already but no joy so far), that'd be a great help! Once I've got them off I can confirm what size the speakers are (8" or 6.5"), as I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer about the cab speakers despite lots of searching.
Found out how to removed the rear panels so when I've got them off I can do the same with the rear speaker sizes and looks for a decent upgrade.
Next thing is the sub... having the sub itself exposed and facing into the cabin would be ideal (aesthetics and sound wise), so I'm looking at the Vibe Blackdeath square 6x9 'marine' sub. Already got a 700watt alpine d class amp so power isn't a problem. If I can remove the blackest I'm hoping to have it mounted on baffle board and use it as a free air sub. Spoken to the guys at vibe and as its basically the bass driver from their high power 6x9s that should work fine. Also means I will lose no space in the boot (small enough as it is) and will mount the amp behind/under the sub again in the ski pass space.
Things I'm not sure on are:
- If the rear speaker high level inputs will be sufficient for the amp (either straight in or VIA a high level converter)
- Where to tap a remote turn on feed from to activate the amp, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
- How bad in reality are the stock speakers? I've heard far worse car stereos in my time and it sounds acceptable if its not too loud. Am I going to notice much of a difference if I'm JUST upgrading the speakers and not amping them?
- Seemingly there are (in addition to the dash centre speaker) what I can only assume to be mid-range drivers in either side of the dash. Does anyone know how to remove/replace them and what size they are?
- The impedance of the facotry speakers (again, NON-Bose). I think they are 4ohms but can anyone confirm that?
When I get the required info and some free time I'll keep you posted on any progress.
Any input/thoughts/advice/suggestions/help is greatly appreciated!