Sat Nav Plus TV option?

Give me a clue!..
I am pretty good at doing this stuff DIY if I have the right parts and info.
The unit is new style nav plus (sd slot) but doesnt have tv.
Heard some people have done a complete install so was hoping to get some pointers/part numers etc..

you need the rns-e tv tuner (they are alot more than the navi-D units - i have seen them go for about 300-350 euros

you need the tv cable from the boot where the tv tuner lives to the back of navi unit - this cable isnt usually available separately, its part of the car wiring, and doesnt just plug into the back of the navi - you will need to bridge it into the existing navi wiring.

also the antennas are a pig - you need to get replacement tv compatible antenna amps from the audi dealer, and a new diversity switcher that is tv compatible and swap these out for the existing amps and diversity switcher - these cost about £450 from audi....

look at http://shop.kufatec.de/ for adapters and cables - email them in english and they will understand fully and reply in english as well.

And I wouldnt bother with a TV tuner as analogue TV is being scrapped soon so why not get a DVD changer? cost me about £300 all in and no fuzzy picture either and not too hard to do either!

no it isnt

you use the tv button to swap to either the audi tv (used as an analog adapter with 2 inputs) or a deitz converter (1 input) but you cant control the auxillary video devices with the head unit - you usually get an IR remote with them

If i wanted to get the Audi DVD RNS-E NAVIGATION SAT/NAV navi Unit for my S3 what facia plate would i need? I'm not sure if i need the A4 or A6 one, can anyone tell me if this can be fitted to the S3's.

are you sure? sorry to doubt you but i just dont want to pay out for something that will not fit.

The A3 one has rounded edges at the top.

well the a4 is bigger and the a6 bigger again, you would have to cut the face plate slightly, the din slot is exactly the same size

the a3 rns-3 has rounded corners and itnt going to be a straight fit. you would have to cut all 4 sides.

i am about to try the a6 rns-e unti in my facelift 2001 s3 for compatibilty and fitting - ill have more info in the next day or 2

Interested in how you get on with this Dunk. Just as an aside, I have done a search and cant find a "how to fit navi plus into an A3" anywhere. Also are the faceplates changable? What items are needed to install it instead of a double din symphony set up? There are loads of Navi Plus units on ebay.de but as I don't speak German but my lass does, she needs to know what to look for.

I appreciate that this may have been done to death elsewhere but I cant find it!

Thanks (hopefully)....

Was looking on ebay last night and noticed a freeview car tuner. Seemed pretty good (around £120) with phono style outs. Wonder if you linked this via the dietz adapter to the unit if it would work?. It came with aerials and a remote.
You can get ordinary car tuners with ordinary video style outs so could this just be plugged into the rns-e as an aux input?

Thanks Dunk, very helpful. My car is the 8L with bose. Very interested in how you get on with the A6 unit into the A3 as there are a lot of these units up on the German ebay site as well as the UK on.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Rick

Let me know how you get on too Dunk. I would have thought the A4 unit would be a better fit. I waiting for dimensions of the new A4 unit from this guy on ebay. I've sent him the measurements of my unit.

a4.jpg

a41.jpg

I really want one of these....

Dont pay too much for one though; the nav and gadget parts are great but the basic sound in my view is not as good as symphony.

[ QUOTE ]

a4.jpg

a41.jpg

I really want one of these....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ye sprites, ye naughty wee sprites! Yeeeeeees.....

Cue pan pipes...

For all you Little Britain lovers out there....

[ QUOTE ]

i have an 8P unit and an A6 unit that i am going to compare fitting size in the 8L a3 - i will take photos .

[/ QUOTE ]

On the AudiNav site is a photo of all the Navi+ units showing clearly the faceplate differences. It looks like the A8 is closer to the A3.... Clicky

Hope this helps

I have TV Tuner for the RNS-E for sale if anyone interested.
4D0 919 146 C is the part number. Let me know by the end of the weekend as I've a non forum member sniffing !!!

done a bit more research about rns-e in older audi models:

on the rns-e models, only the a6 unit has a gala input - all the other models use gala over the can-bus

the older a3 and b5 a4 doesnt put gala over the can-bus, so you can only successfully integrate an a6 model into the a3/s3 with any ease.

the a6 model seems to be the right height top to bottom as well, leaving only the left and right sides needing cutting to get a good fit.

models with can-bus (post facelift) can use the can-bus for radio/nav display on the dis anyway and also have canbus signals for the lights being on and the ignition on - this means you only have to connect the can-bus from the back of the navi to the intruments ( you may already have these wires, particularly with symphony II radios or older satnav plus) and the existing radio gala wire to the rns-e v wire and the whole thing integrates nicely.

[ QUOTE ]
Interested in how you get on with this Dunk. Just as an aside, I have done a search and cant find a "how to fit navi plus into an A3" anywhere. Also are the faceplates changable? What items are needed to install it instead of a double din symphony set up? There are loads of Navi Plus units on ebay.de but as I don't speak German but my lass does, she needs to know what to look for.

I appreciate that this may have been done to death elsewhere but I cant find it!

Thanks (hopefully)....

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this link for the new A3. Might be useful with some alteration

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bah.bah1/index.htm