Problems removing concert

Dean_T

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
right guys im sure you know what im talking about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the clips have broke meaning i need to get the HU out by force

im under the impression i need to push some pieces of metal to try and release the clips and then the HU will pull out......

tried that and im having no joy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

this is where i am at the moment;

413751_78_full.jpg

firstly, i can feel resistance from the top when i push the metal strips in (so im assuming im doing right there?) but i cant feel any resistance at the bottom and the HU is still stuck in there fast

the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif thing wont budge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

any suggestions/comments much appreciated folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TIA

the clip is on the left hand side of the bottom left piece of metal you've inserted.
and then on the right hand side of the bottom right piece.

the clips are behind the metal overhang, ie where the radio sticks out an extra bit on each side.

if you got a right angled stiff piece of metal, ie allen key you could slide it in vertically and then roatate it and hopefully you would hit the clips.

the clips are VERY strong at resisting force, but if you push them they will go in nicely to release.

i'm very impressed you mananged to take the front off. i lost patience and rammed a huge screwdriver into it and levered it out, even then it was a nightmare!!

good luck

still no joy yet, i think my problem comes from doing this blind

does anyone have pictures of the HU removed which shows where the clips are please?

The clips are only held on by a tiny rivet, so the likelihood is that they're really loose and the clips are bent or at the wrong angle to be levered back to release the chassis.
You should be able to see them if you use a torch, as AJ says they are bottom left & right.
I had to bend the end pieces forward (the metal flaps either side of the DIN sized hole), and then you can see what is preventing the thing from moving.
Don't try to take the metal fron plate off as you can't release it without getting access to the back.

This is shown from the underside, you can see the spring clip at the top of the photo
[image]http://photobucket.com/albums/v700/dizzythedog/?action=view&current=AudiKeysmontage.jpg[/image]

exactly what i was looking for, thanks a bunch Andy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

i was trying the kid gloves approach but it looks like i'll have to get mean with it and bend forward the over hangs like you say

My clips had broken off and had managed to jam themselves lower down. With the over hangs bent forward you can get long nosed pliers in there to clear them.
The HU still worked afterwards.

This will also give you something substantial to hold onto when you pull the piece of garbage out.

shes out!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

thanks for your help lads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

well i had an attempt at getting my Becker in tonight

notice the word 'attempt'

wiring, not an issue at all, everything works ok

tested for HU fit, problem. the HU wouldnt go all the way in, measuring the Becker against the concert the becker was a tad taller

time to set about sanding the plastic cage back. joy.

next stage, came to fit the fascia adapters which i got from CAD;

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_...63e0cc0dd1822d0

^^ thats the ones i have and they dont fit at all, dont get me wrong they screw in and fit snug up to the HU but there is a gap between the adapters and the dash roughly 1/4 of an inch or so

did any of you guys have this issue??

my A3 is a 2001 if that helps?

this day hasnt gone exactly as i planned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Ahhh... I think I know what you need...

I had an A3 while living in Cyprus (2001MY). Now the interesting bit is that due to the poor spec of new cars there, the car came with no factory radio...and a cover on top of the radio "hole". (fascia piece if you know what i mean).

Now. if you removed that cover it came with 2 pieces of plastic that fit either side of the "hole" to leave space which was exact for a single DIN unit. As I recall, I managed to fit a Pioneer with no problems and the fit was perfect.

Ask you "friendly" dealer if they had any cars in which had no radio fitted from the factory...maybe they still have one of those "hole" covers with the extra bits.

Hope the above makes sense.

PS As I recall the factory side pieces had no "extensions" on the top and bottom.

some pics to help explain;

this is the screw hole i imagine i should be using?;

413751_79_full.jpg

this is with the adapter fitted;

413751_80_full.jpg

and this is what it looks when both of them are fitted;

413751_81_full.jpg

Dean, order the adapters from your Audi dealer. None of the non Audi ones fit properly although I've good reports about the single surround for a Seat Leon.
Even the ones from Audi have to have the back bits trimmed off.