Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Tom Tom - Hardwired into car

Hi all,

I've just bought a Tom Tom GPS (non bluetooth) for my IPAQ SATNAV. I'd like to power it directly instead of using the cigarette lighter socket and tuck it away out of site (in the glovebox or similar).
    Has anyone done this or similar? Is it just a case of cutting the cigarette plug off and wiring it into a ignition 12v supply?

Ade

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel

Re: Tom Tom - Hardwired into car

More or less, you will need to find an ignition live tho so that its only live when the car is on.Depends on the age of your car where to find such a thing i believe

imported_Wicked666

spoke to a guy in halfords. Just buy a new cigarette lighter, find an ignition live and wire it up behind the dash. Then plug the tomtom in. That way you're not damaging the tomtom so you can flog it in the future.

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    spoke to a guy in halfords. Just buy a new cigarette lighter, find an ignition live and wire it up behind the dash. Then plug the tomtom in. That way you're not damaging the tomtom so you can flog it in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey, Genius!! Why didn't i think of that.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Cool, cheers guy's....thats what i'll do....

Any idea on where to mount the cradle for the IPAQ? I don't like the idea of it sucking to the windscreen as it blocks my view......

Ade

imported_Wicked666

[ QUOTE ]

Blimey, Genius!! Why didn't i think of that.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

same here mate! so simple but i never though it of it till he told me

Reverse Gear

Status

When I did mine I got a power plug from Maplins (can get elsewhere already wired) and tapped into the rear of the fuse box as its easily accessible to the right of the steering wheel. I got a Brodit mount which clips onto the air vent and hods the TomTom mount solid.

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Brodit mount which clips onto the air vent and hods the TomTom mount solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't suppose you've got any pics of the Brodit mount?

1st Gear

Status

I also dislike the windows suckers so I have just ordered one of these: http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=CM629
    It is a Arkon universal PDA holder + a vent mount. For me this is a temporary solution. Eventually I want a powered Brodit cradle and modify the plug/wire so that the audio out on my PDA is hardwired into the Audi radio. The aux in adapter is probably going to cost a lot more than the brodit kit.

It wasn't until after I placed the order with Expansys that I checked the Arkon site and found out that the vent mount will not fit the round vents in some sport cars. Hmmm... the sportback has round vents. Ah well, maybe I'm lucky and it wil fit anyway.

imported_Wicked666

Reverse Gear

Status

Try http://www.brodit.com, they do a whole range of clips to either take your iPAQ holder that came with your TomTom kit (if you bought it that way) or they also do iPAQ holders that you then mount on their clip.

1st Gear

Status

Cool, thanks guys, looks like it's the brodit kit for me....

Thanks a lot for your help

Ade

1st Gear

Status

DHL delivered the Arkon kit last night and I'm happy to say that it fits the A3's round vents fine! Still undecided which vent is the best. At the moment I'm trying it on the passenger side one, but I think I'll change it over to the diver side one. The holder can also rotate so I can use the PDA in landscape. Now I can't wait to get my hands on TomTom5, since that is supposed to be able to run in VGA landscape. wicked!

I'll take post pics later today.

I'm using a bluetooth GPS receiver and the battery of the PDA will keep going for about 2.5 hours so on most trips I can have the whole thing working without any wires messing up the dash. Just the way I like it!

1st Gear

Status

Here are some pictures of my PDA nav setup with the Arkon cradle. The PDA is a Fujitsu Siemens PocketLoox 720 (VGA screen) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The vent mount

Vent mount close-up

The cradle can be easily attached/detached from the vent mounts

PDA in portrait

PDA in landscape

View from the drivers seat