How to disconnect centre dash speaker in 2009 A3 ??

RST

Reaction score
Having recently changed the front mid speakers and tweeters I now want to disconnect the front centre dash mounted speaker.

Can I just prize the grill up the way To access it or is there a knack or trick to access the speaker ?

The centre speaker just sounds outclassed and shrill in the new setup and when I put a small towel to mute its effects the whole sound stage is improved but don't want to break the grill.

Cheers

Last edited:
Had a look again this morning at the grill above the centre speaker in the dash, it is quite small and maybe the speaker cannot be lifted up and disconnected this way ?

Is there an easier way of disconnecting this speaker ?

Can anybody help I have a long journey on Sunday and want to disconnect the centre speaker before I leave.

Thanks

If you have the non Bose system you should be able to just snip one of the skinny wires running to the front speaker harness. The centre speaker runs off the left +ve and right -ve connection on the front speaker harness, so you should have 4 normal wires going to the doors and then 2 skinny wires bridged across the two. Just snip one and job done.

cheers again Andy

Was hoping it was going to be easy and its sounds like it is.

I thought the wiring split may have been buried deep in the wiring loom but it sounds like it is just at the back of the head unit so hopefully a ten minute job.

Thanks again

Hi Andy

Thanks for your help just done it.

Removed head unit and there is a mini loom that runs of the speaker main loom. The mini loom connector is cliped to the frame in the aperature behind the head unit (to the top at the left), from there it is the only mini loom that runs toward the centre speaker.

I recognised the grey/red and red/brown wires in this mini loom as speaker wires, and with the clock ticking down had to make a decision which to clip, get it wrong and the car goes BOOOOM !!!

red/brown wire sniped and all is well !!!

Just shows you how cheap the speakers are in the non Bose, it was a massive improvement before, but now the centre speaker is disconnected i know have the sound stage i had hoped for.

Cheers