Symphony in A4 s-line

wmd10

Reaction score
hi all,

i have the 6disc in dash head unit fitted to my A4 s-line. overall i find the sound system good.

is it possible to wire a sub/amp upto this type of head unit?

anybody done it? worth the work?

cheers

Yes & yes.
Definately a good move and not only give you much needed bass, but will improve the overall sound as well.
The rear speakers are driven by a tiny amp so you can pick up the rear pre-outs & remote on from this amp to feed the sub amp. So all you need to do is run power to the boot.

Depends what year, but usually it is bolted to the underside of the rear left speaker in the rear deck.

my car is a 2004 model. ill have a look about, thanks mate

Hi,

If your car is a saloon the amp is behind the right hand side boot pannel on a plate above the wheel arch.

Hope that helps,

Phil

thanks all, just one last question. in my last car my head unit had an independent control for the sub volume etc.

how would i control it thru the symphony head unit? or how else can you control it?

sorry if its a daft question

There's no independent sub control on any Audi HU. You either just use the Bass control, fade to rear or disconnect the rear amp and use the fader to control the sub on its own. If you're really keen you could reconnect the rear amp to the front pre-outs, so you'd lose the front rear fade option but have independent control of the sub.
The only other way (apart from fitting a decent HU) is wiring up a pot to the sub amp pre-outs and mounting it on the dash (not nice) but this would only cut the level going to the amp.
I doubt the feeble Symphony pre-outs would like it too much either

do u think a sub will sound and add ok bass with the existing head unit or do i really need a new head unit with sub control?

It'll sound fine, you just need to spend a bit of time getting the gain set correctly, try it out with a really bassy CD to ensure you have enough control over it using just the Bass setting so that it's not too loud, but with a tinny track you have enough sub gain so that it sounds good without having to jack up the Bass to max.

thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated