Is the BOSE amplifier adjustable?

JamesCD327

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just installed an aftermarket headunit to my 2002 S3.

It had the fully amplified BOSE system which I've bypassed by getting a converter from the back of my stereo so the speakers simply run directly from the ISO connectors which seems to work fine, but even when the volume on the stereo is on '1', it's fairly loud.

The sound will still have to come through the factory fitted BOSE amplifier but is there any way of adjusting the output level on it?

Also, where is it?

Thanks in advance,

James.

The amp is in the drivers side cubbyhole in the boot behind the rear light cluster. You can't adjust the gain on it. I would question the adapter you've used, sounds like you have connected the speaker outputs directly to the amplifer input stage - not a good idea. You need a hi-lo converter (line out converter) if that is the way you want to connect it up, which takes the high level speaker outputs from the new HU and brings them back down to low level pre-outs which then feed the Bose amp.
Part no. PC9-408

Thanks for your quick reply,

The part you mentioned - PC9-408 is the part I've used to attach the HU to the car.

I did originally connect it directly out of the RCA low input converters but that created a horrible "pop" whenever I changed channels on the stereo.

If the volume on the new stereo had a '1/2' volume setting that would be ideal! Volume setting number 1 is just a little too loud to have a conversation in the car without having to raise your voice slightly.

Hardly a real problem granted but enough to annoy me slightly.

There should be an adjustment on the PC9-408 which allows you to reduce the gain fed to the Bose amp

Hi Andy, I'm looking to either replace my headunit or find a way to add MP3 to it. I've got the full bose Concert 1 system factory fitted to my A4 Avant but worried changing the headunit is going to cause more issues than its worth. Hoping you can point me in the right direction?

thanks,

Ash

Yes you can get a simple Connects2 adapter that provides mp3 input via the cd changer port

Depends what car you have?
8L & 8P it is on the drivers side behind the boot trim, you need to remove the boot lip trim and then the rear O/S boot panel to get to the amp.

Quite literally type into search engine, will be loads of links to sellers no doubt.

thanks... but it was the specific one i need for my car (2002 s3) that i wanted a link for (im not to hot with this ice stuff)

If you search for a seller, most professional sites will list compatibility or have a selector for the relevant car required use on.

My old connects2 unit was made by dension, check the dension site 1st if need be mate.