fitting 0 guage and 'the big 3'

Dean_T

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
dont suppose anyone has done this on their A3, and has pics

i have all my bits and pieces to get me back into the audio world and just wondered if anyone had fitted 0 guage, did it go through an original gromet or is it time to get the drill out?

also if anyone has upgraded the big three to (alt to battery, battery to chassis and engine to chassis) 4 guage or above, pics would be very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TIA folks

I think it would be easier to run some scaffold pole through the bulkhead.
What on earth would you need 0 guage for? Are you planning on doing some welding in the boot?

lol

that guage is needed to power my amps, 4 guage over that distance wouldnt be suitable as thats only good for ~90amps over 5metres

at present i'll be pulling around 160amps maximum

plus future proofing is all good, plus i may compete again at some point in the future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It'd be easier to run 2 lengths of 4 guage, at least then you'd have some flexibility.
If you're seriously gonna be pulling 160amps then you'll need an uprated alternator as the standard is only 120a (on my V6, probably less on a 1.8T).

i did think about two runs of 4 guage but i got a 0 guage kit extremely cheap so im going with that - plus if i was to run two sets of power i would be more inclined to run two 0 guage but thats just complicating matters at the moment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

alt should be fine for the time being, i'll be getting an uprated battery which should help and its doubtful i will be running the amps at full pelt everytime i get into the car

well, maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i only have an 8" sub at the moment, so weight isnt going to be *that* much of an issue, nothing im not prepared to deal with anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

in the future i will be upgrading no doubt as i have ~1kw on tap, even though headroom is good its also nice to be able to use it!

although i do have to deal with the hassle of broken clips on my concert, so its either a dash off job or brute force

you;ve started with the install then mate.... woo hoo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about running it under the car. it'd mean a big hole through the boot or something but may be easier than running under the carpet?

[ QUOTE ]
you;ve started with the install then mate.... woo hoo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well im halfway there! had a nice big parcel from CAD the other day, 0 guage wiring kit, Becker Mexico Pro and a set of DLS' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What about running it under the car. it'd mean a big hole through the boot or something but may be easier than running under the carpet?

[/ QUOTE ]

once i get chance im going to start taking the car to bits i think and see what kind of space i have, if its anything like my golf then it shouldnt be that tough hopefully

still not decided how to go about fitting the comps, either door builds or kick builds i think

what you doing with your old install mate, keeping it or selling it?

Dean, you can prise off the whole of the front fascia on the Concert to release the HU. It's only held onto the main DIN sized chassis by tiny plastic lips. You can use a wide decorating scraper or similar to lever up the bottom of the HU fascia. Once removed you'll be able to get to the knackered clips. The HU will still work. I had to do this recently on my mate's A3TQ.

[ QUOTE ]
Dean, you can prise off the whole of the front fascia on the Concert to release the HU. It's only held onto the main DIN sized chassis by tiny plastic lips. You can use a wide decorating scraper or similar to lever up the bottom of the HU fascia. Once removed you'll be able to get to the knackered clips. The HU will still work. I had to do this recently on my mate's A3TQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

freaky, i was just hunting for one of your old threads where you gave advice to ajmackie about getting the concert out!

cheers buddy, i'll give it a try and see if i can get that nasty thing out of my dash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cool you have started at last.

I want to see pics when done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope it's ready for the midland meet, then we can see/hear it IRL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

what you doing with your old install mate, keeping it or selling it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping it. i have a fortnight in the summer set aside for it. Need to learn how to use fibreglass though to get some kicks made! i shall be able to wear the TTA polo shirt again soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
0G wiring to power an 8" sub...

interesting.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

an 8" to begin with... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

then something a little more interesting, and versatile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

havent decided what yet though, something which likes a sealed box and really likes a ported one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

when's the mids meet?

have no idea on time of completion yet, just ordered a few more bits from CAD, which should be enough to get me started then its time to get the dash to pieces and fit some toys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

it certainly wont be a pretty install, neat, yes but not any flashy business

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
0G wiring to power an 8" sub...

interesting.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

an 8" to begin with... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

then something a little more interesting, and versatile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

havent decided what yet though, something which likes a sealed box and really likes a ported one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

when's the mids meet?

have no idea on time of completion yet, just ordered a few more bits from CAD, which should be enough to get me started then its time to get the dash to pieces and fit some toys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

it certainly wont be a pretty install, neat, yes but not any flashy business

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you I was thinking about getting my body work sorted next, but it looks like I've got some competition so it might be install time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Door builds done. So just the boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh yeah Dean I've seen your Brax group buy. I would have been interested if it was for a Multi Controller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah Dean I've seen your Brax group buy. I would have been interested if it was for a Multi Controller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

those things are nice, Blade has one of those and its very trick!

the voltmeters are nice pieces of kit, had one before but sold it in a fit of madness getting cash together to buy my A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i just need some time free to actually get to work on it now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

have you had a look at uprating TB3 fella or arent you going to bother?

i wouldnt say my install will be competition for yours mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i just want mine to go "BAAARP *wobble* BAAARRRPPP" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

im sure yours will be sounding lush /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pics!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

those things are nice, Blade has one of those and its very trick!

the voltmeters are nice pieces of kit, had one before but sold it in a fit of madness getting cash together to buy my A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i just need some time free to actually get to work on it now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

have you had a look at uprating TB3 fella or arent you going to bother?

i wouldnt say my install will be competition for yours mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i just want mine to go "BAAARP *wobble* BAAARRRPPP" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

im sure yours will be sounding lush /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I finally get around to installing all of mine I will be doing the big three, but if you look at the standard battery to chassis earth you will see that it's a fair wire to start with (Probably 4AWG) Not checked the others so couldn't comment.

Also I'll probably put an Optima Yellow top or Diesel Battery on, but I can't be bothered with the hassle of uprating the alternator.

Yeah tell me about the MultiController very trick indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am sure yours will sound fab when it's done. I am starting to miss mine as it's been nearly a year of listening to the standard stereo so it's about time to upgrade.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pics!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

All in good time not trimmed yet.

Plenty of the TA boys have done A3's. i did my A4 with 0wg very easy on that, thru the ECU box and under the carpet with the OEM wires.

[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of the TA boys have done A3's. i did my A4 with 0wg very easy on that, thru the ECU box and under the carpet with the OEM wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

any pics mate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i like to be overly prepared for when i start a job like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

any pics mate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i like to be overly prepared for when i start a job like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are these plenty of guys on TA? As far as I am aware there are only about 6 in total on there and three of them have posted in this thread. Then there is Satyb and K whatever his name it.

I know where I am going to run the Cable for mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Through the cover on the drivers side that has a rubber grommet on it.

I've already got the pipe for my boost gauage going through it.