Factory Iphone 4s & Ipod Options

mpr697

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered but I cannot find an answer anywhere through a search.

I'm looking for factory options to connect an Iphone 4s via bluetooth and and ipod nano via cable.

I have recently bought a 2004 A4 Avant with SymphonyII (double din with built in 6disc changer)

Can I buy a cable that will fit to the existing factory HU that will control and power the ipod? And can i buy a bluetooth module that we allow me to connect my iphone. Dont need to control the phone through it, just hear the call.

Thanks

MPR

Theres a couple options but they're all cost dependant.

To simply connect an auxillary or have a proper ipod connection, connects2 offer a couple of different kits. You have the ipod connect kit which has its own seperate control box and works through the cd changer port which will act as a cd changer through your factory stereo. You'll get control through the stereo and the iphone/pod will dock itself in the same way it would with your computer. The auxillary is pretty much the same but has an auxillary connection on the end of the cable instead of the ipod connection. Difference is you control everything from the device your using and only control the volume on the stereo.

You could also go for a parrot mki9100 or 9200 kit. You'll need an SOT lead from autoleads, about 20-30 quid, and the parrot kit. This is a standalone bluetooth kit that works seperately to the stereo and has an ipod, usb and aux lead. its a really good bit of kit but it doesn't work with the original amplifier built into the head unit so your speakers will sound weaker as the parrots amp is only about 20w RMS.

The parrot will allow you to connect your nano via ipod connection and iphone via bluetooth and you have bluetooth audio streaming so if you ever get bored of the nano you can just stream music via bluetooth from the iphone. You get full control of the ipod via the parrot and its interface is similar to the ipod one so its very easy to use (playlist, artist, album etc) it'll also charge through the dock too.

Your only other option is to upgrade to RNS-E and have an auxillary input into it (if thats available, im not sure) factory bluetooth kit and auxillary input should allow you to use the two devices simultaneously.

There are more options available but these are what i normally work with and what i'd recommend. It may also be worth looking into factory fitted auxillary kits and retrofitting it. If you have a CANBUS quadlock on the back of ur stereo, then nothing needs to be unplugged its just a case of slotting the plug into the correct empty port and fitting the aux plug in somewhere.

Hope this helps.

You don't have a quadlock in a 2004 A4, it's ISO and there is no AUX facility on the symphony II

So there are plenty of options as your CD changer port is free, best Ipod option is the Dension Gateway 100 CAN, this will give you track information in the DIS (not some remote display) and allow control from the HU and charging of any Ipoid/Iphone.

As for bluetooth, you could use any simple Parrot kit (CK3000 etc) to get bluetooth functionality, but again you will have some nasty bit of kit on display. So you could fit the genuine audi bluetooth system, without a nav unit or MFSW you cannot control it to make calls, but you can answer ok. The nice thing about the Audi kit is that it will completely dissappear into the car and even the mic is fitted in the factory location. And the sound quality is superior to any parrot kit.

All of this kit will be compatible with an upgrade to navigation wether it be the basic BNS5 red screen nav or the full RNS-E DVD nav.

i too have been looking at ways of connecting my ipod/phone to my rnse, the best ive seen (and most expensive) is the alpine ipod kit supplied by hazzy dayz.

totally controllable through hu and steering wheel controls, it charges the device and utilises the whole sound system, only downside is that it uses the tv input so if you wanted a tv tuner i suppose you couldnt have both

my two questions are; are hazzydayz reputable? and is £380 worth it for this item?

thanks guys

I have fitted the alpine systems many times, they are a bit clunky but do integrate well into the RNS-E. £380 is a good price, it is similar to what I charge. Some people have issues with charging the latest Iphone 4 with the Alpine, depends how old the unit is etc.

'clunky' were my thoughts after watching the demo video online, the guy was sometimes double pressing buttons for it to register the command, which for £400, i wouldnt expect.

my car is 6 years old, what does that mean about my rnse?

oooo ok then, cheers

is there another alternative to the alpine, ie another make, that you know of?