Replacing factory head unit help....

fatfree

Reaction score
One of my female friends own an Audi A6 1999. She says her car doesn't have a CD changer, and that her headunit is a tape player.

She went to me for help on installing an aftermarket headunit. We went to BestBuy and bought a headunit. I don't think she cares about quality.. she says she just wants to listen to CD's asap.

Anyways.. bestbuy just told me they can't do it cuz it needs special hardware, and that the special hardware won't be able to be shipped to their store. They say that I have to go to the Audi Dealer and pickup that part. (I have no clue what the hell he was talking about since this is suppose to be an aftermarket install, so I don't know why he brought up the subject about the dealership).

I install car stereos in all kinds of japanese cars, but have never installed one in a European car, and I also don't want to screwup my friends A6, so I need a little help.

- I assume I need harness connectors
- Faceplate adapter since the factory looks wide.
- Do I need special antenna connectors?
- And mainly... what is involved in removing the factory headunit? Some cars require to remove the entire center console, or dash, yet others only require a special tool to remove the headunit (simple).

I did some research on this forum, and notice that some Audi only requires special tool or DIY nail filer way. IS this the same for the 1999 Audi A6?

thanks for the help. If you need any more info to help me, let me know what you need to know about her car. thanks.

Pesonally I'd just buy her a CD changer on ebay. If she's not worried about improving the quality then changing the HU is quite a pain and you'll spend £100 in all the associated bits you need just to connect it up (plus the expense of the HU itself), for far less money you could have just bought a secondhand changer and it's a simple plug & play.
To install an aftermarket HU you need all the bits you listed including the antenna amp, and then you'll probably get interference problems with the rear amp due to the shabby Audi wiring. You're also likely to get a "pop" everytime you change CD's or turn the volume down due to the wierd input stage on the rear amp.Only really worth it if you are upgrading the speakers and can then bypass all the crap Audi stuff.

andy u really should never become a car salesman!!!! lol
i like my standard concert setup. admittedly not the best sound it the world, but when i changed to a standard head unit there was hardly any bass if i didn't use audi's amp as i bypassed it.
then the aerial amp started to feck up and so did the speaker loom meaning all the sound would go to different speakers at random times!
then there is the hassle of having to remove the darn thing everytime you park up.
then i missed the auto volume speed sensitive thing.

so i like my standard concert!
i've just bought a CD changer off ebay for £50 delivered so waiting for that!

I do agree with andymac as he defo knows his stuff! A hell of a lot easier to get a changer off ebay. You'll probably find the wiring is all there so it is just a simple case of install changer, find wire behind trim, plug in and go!

I think I will take you guys advices, and convince her to do it that way.

I will return the HU then, and find a changer.

Btw, there is actually 2 reasons why she wanted the aftermarket HU with cd....

- 1st was because her car had no cd changer.
- 2nd, for some reason, the code won't want to enter anymore for the security in the stock HU.

We tried many many times following the manual of the car. It says after it has been entered incorrect for a certain amout of times, that we have to wait until 2 or 3 hours later, and try again. Well, weeks have past, and the headunit won't let us enter it anymore.

I really hate the possibility of something very simple, but having the dealer solve it. I'm sure the code is correct. It's in with the service manual as a "card".

eeshh. i don't dealing with females with wadded up panties... you know what I mean?

How far do you get with the code entering?
Does it display 1000?
Remember you don't enter the code by typing it directly on the keypad, you only use keys 1 to 4 and press them multiple times to get to the right number. i.e. if the code is 2345 then you press key 1 twice, key 2 three times, key 3 four times & key 4 five times.
Sorry if this is what you did, but it's a common mistake to press keys 2,3,4 then 5.
If it doesn't get as far as "1000" then try it with the engine running.

AH!! That is possible!! I will try that next time she brings her car over.

From the last time I remember, it won't let me try anymore.... but I'll check again.

thanks. I'll start looking for a changer too...