Badger5Monster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Slow install recommendations

I'm looking into upgrading the Bose Concert system in my 2001 S4. I can't really afford to spend $1000+ all at once, but can drop a couple hundred every month or so. Should I start with a head unit first or a subwoofer and amp? I know I'll loose the little screen in the gauge cluster with any head unit mod, but can probably adapt to that if I'm able to get all the other features I want [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm itching to get started, just need to know where I might run into the least amount of trouble.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Slow install recommendations

Personally I'd add a sub first. This will transform the sound and is the easiest upgrade to do as all the connections are already on the sub loom (apart from a decent power lead). If you upgrade the HU first you'll achieve a minimum improvement in SQ (if any) & you'll need to buy adapters to hook into the Bose wiring (which will be redundant when you upgrade other bits).

Neutral

Status

I was figuring I'd need to start at one end or the other. So if I build a box, load a speaker or four, an amp or two and run a decent power supply, I should be able to improve the SQ pretty easily. Sounds good to me.

What is a good path for the power lead to pass through the passenger compartment? Does Audi run a channel through the door sills for most of the wiring to the rear of the car? I've seen that with most cars I've done this kind of work to.

Status

Power is best taken from battery through the ECU box (under the windscreen), which drops staight into the drivers footwell, then under the sill trim to the boot.

Neutral

Status

Driver's side UK or US? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The ECU itself is on the left side of the car.

On another note... The Bose system uses 2 ohm speakers, correct? I should be able to install amps for them as long as the amps are stable for a 2 ohm load, correct? The reason I ask is because I may install amps for front and rear as well as a sub and amp in the first stage of this operation. The next stage would likely replace the head unit and all the component speakers.

Thanks for your input.