SD card issue - format ?

ColinS

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 59 plate S3 with RNS-E headunit fitted.

The issue I have is it will not play certain files stored on my SD card. All files are mp3 format but only some of them appear on the list of stored of files on the card.

I have tried formatting the card and putting only one file on it which it has previously not recognised. An error message saying unknown files appears and it will not play.

I am puzzled because some of the files work and some dont ?

Is there a certain type of mp3 file these will not recognise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

the SD card is a sandisk SDHC 32gb.

1 - is card formatted correctly FAT 32
2 - are files over 320mbps?
3 - are files being copied from Windows or Mac ( if Mac may be worth trying BlueHarvest software)
4 - if files are burned to cd-r will they work

Thanks for the reply.

Card is formatted to FAT32. The files play on cd-r in the 6 disc changer. Files are being copied from windows 7.

Only thing I am unsure is if they are over 320 mbps ? How would I find out ? I take it this is a requirement for them to play ?

I have just checked the properties of one of the files that wont play and it states the bit rate being 320 kbps ? is this what you mean ?

I have just checked one of the files which does work and the bit rate is 220 kbps. Now even more confused !

am having exactly the same problem, seems to be no connection between bitrate or file size??? just doesnt seem to like some files??

Yeah. Really frustrating ! . . . All files are mp3 format so really cant understand it !

was chatting with a techy guy at work and he said it may be a dodgy sd card (faulty sectors or something). Have another one with different tunes on that works fine so will try to find somewhere that sell non HC SD cards to try the same songs on a different card....

So the problem is HC cards? Just bought one last night and tried it and it just says 'Reading card' and never changes..

Paul100 - Let us know if you have any joy with the non HC sd card.

I knew the older RNS-E head units didnt like HCSD cards but I thought it was a case of they would play everything or nothing at all. Not selected tracks.

Colin

Well found a non hc card transferred the same files over and............................. nope! still the same. Cant figure it out....

Does anyone have a 4GB card they can confirm works? What make/model is it?

a bit of a late reply but i was told to only use 2gb sd cards, anything bigger and it doesnt like it!

not tried mine yet (still trying to get the satnav to work) but its just a thought for you :)

only using 2gb cards.

I have shortened the artist names and track titles and it seems to have worked. Not had time to look at the details yet though..

seems a bit of a faff to me, wouldnt it be easier to install an aux input or mp3 dock in the car?