Fitting Head Unit - Lives

SyA3Turbo

Reaction score
Website
www.dub-life.co.uk
Just a quicky really. I have fitted my new Pioneer DVD headunit but everytime i switch the car off the headunit loses all its memory settings.

Can anyone tell me which colour wire and on which plug ill find the memory and permanent lives please?

The car is a 99 A3 and im using a ISO adapter for the headunit to run the sub too.

Cheers

Chances are the perm live & ignition live are round the wrong way, as Audi usually wire their power ISO plugs different to everyone else. It's the big black plug.
Permanent live is red with white stripe (across from the brown ground wire), ignition on is yellow with red stripe, called "S-Kont" and is the 3rd along from ground wire.

I think this is a VAG thing, I've had to do it on all my golfs !
as andymac said, you should be able to swap them over as the ISO plug you've got on the HU should have bullet connectors on for the red and yellow wires. On the headunit end i believe yellow is the ignition and red is the permanent 12v

Superb guys. Ill give it a try. The wiring on the headunit did say something about swapping the bullets over but as im the over cautious type i just thought i'd ask first to check.

Ill try testing the wires andymac suggests with a tester to see first.

Thanks fellas!

chances are that a4 only have perm not ignition sense try taking it from the buzz bar under the steering wheel panel

that would mean that you'll be able to turn your radio on without the keys in the ignition though.

Applies to all VAG cars you have to change the connectors over.