A3 sportback TDi subwoofer

chrisn900

Reaction score
The rear subwoofer speaker unit in my 2006 A3 sportback 2.0 tdi has obviously gone faulty, it sounded like a swarm of bees, making a buzzing noise which was very audible at low volume levels.
I took the car to bits and removed it from the subwoofer assembly as it was bloomin' annoying. I couldn't see anything stuck in the speaker which could be causing the buzzing
Could anyone recommend a direct replacement for the actual speaker unit itself as i dont really want to replace the whole subwoofer unit, I've seen them offered on a popular selling site for between £50 upwards.
I may even not bother replacing it as I cant really hear a great deal of difference in the music quality.
Thanks for any advice or comments :uhm:

There aren't any direct replacements and if there were you're unlikely to get one for less than £50. There are 2 types of subwoofer for your car, Bose & non Bose. They are very different so you need to ensure you get the correct one. The Bose one just houses the speaker and the non Bose houses a different speaker and the amp that drives it and the rear speakers. The buzzing is probably caused by the speaker being blown, if you gently push on the speaker cone it should move smoothly in and out. If it crunches at all then then voice coil is broken. Just replace the whole unit or add a proper sub.