Dension or XCarLink?

trailer

Reaction score
I've just changed to an A3 TDi Black Edition Quattro, 59 plate from a 2.0TFSi Quattro. Rather than changing out the head unit again I'm considering using an iPod/BT adapter with the existing double DIN Concert/Bose. A compromise on sound quality I know against the HU replacement. The question I have is whether to go with the XCarLink or the Dension adaptors? I know the Dension is double the price but is it worth the extra over the XCarLink one?

Thanks in advance.

I bought an Xcarlink for my S3 about 2 months ago, and whilst its not a bad price, it's playing up and less than reliable. I don't like the way that when you switch back to using the CD changer it won't operate properly, like it won't skip tracks on the CD properly etc. Really annoying me to the point i'm on the internet right now looking for a new head unit.

I may be in the minority with a dodgy unit of course.

I bought an Xcarlink for my S3 about 2 months ago, and whilst its not a bad price, it's playing up and less than reliable. I don't like the way that when you switch back to using the CD changer it won't operate properly, like it won't skip tracks on the CD properly etc. Really annoying me to the point i'm on the internet right now looking for a new head unit.

I may be in the minority with a dodgy unit of course.

Thanks for that. I'm swaying towards the Gateway 100 now with an iPhone4 on the active cradle mounted on one of the vents.

As an aside would there be any issues if I use the TomTom satnav app on the iPhone at the same time as playing music through the Dension?

I've stumped up for a Dension 100 from iPodcarkits who assure me that the SatNav app and the music should both work fine simultaneously.

:arco:

Good move in buying the denision the xcarlink is rubbish i had the same issue's as beanoir with the xcarlink i tried 2 in my car and they both froze my cd player functions so bought the denision and it's a good bit of kit works really well have now sent the xcarlink back and recieved a refund.

Does the Dension 100 also work for 8L model S3? I searched Dension gateway and only found the 500 available and it's £400!
And how easy the install? Just plug and play?

Does the Dension 100 also work for 8L model S3? I searched Dension gateway and only found the 500 available and it's £400!
And how easy the install? Just plug and play?

No idea if it works with your car. I installed the GW100 into mine last week which took about 10 minutes and it's just plug and play. All you need are the keys to get the stereo out.

I get the text read out on the info centre next to the speedo, the only downside is that the stereo itself just shows "Track xx" and it's a limited display in the info centre due to a lack of space for the text.

I have the Co-Pilot satnav app running on an iPhone at the same time as playing music off it. The satnav commands play through the stereo too, dimming the music as they get spoken which is useful. All in all I'm pretty impressed so far.

I was looking at these for my A4 2007. I have an RNS-E with a CD changer.
Will the GW100 work in my car?
Also i wont lose the changer if i plugged it in will i?
I dont know any thing about these

Turns out I bought the wrong model for my concert stereo.
It's for sale in the ads section now, as I need to get the GW16AU2 (not the AI2 which is for later stereo models).
So much messin just to listen to your iPod!