IPOD in S3

chuckys3

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone recommend me the best way to connect my ipod to my S3. I got some nice bose speakers in the car and not making much use of them. I purchased a fm transmitter and it connects to the ipod but I found it to be rubbish and quality isn't great. I've heard of the dension ipod connect which is around £130, but thats a little steep. Any other way of making use of my ipod. I don't have a cd changer. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Try this cradle £99:

http://www.ihavetohave.it/section.php/200/0/a6bd3ff8d16cf689483e1f5ee66e14ba

works with the standard HU too.

and this damage free mounting kit £15:
http://www.ihavetohave.it/section.php/118/0

Works a treat.

I was thinking of getting the Phatnoise for a while but could not find a supplier, so went and got this instead.

Prices were good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly the set up I have in my A4. The sound quality is awesome- personally, although it does sound a little steep for what is essentially a charger with audio connects, it's a bargain to be able to play the contents of my Ipod in my motor.

i have the neo ion www.mp3yourcar.com in my S3 and have been very happy with it. Direct connect adapters are the best way to go. You maintain sound quality unlike some of the other adapters.

another question actually.. i have the symphony 2 headunit. will i still be able to play my other cds if the ipod is connected??? how will i select between cds and the ipod if they all go under the cd setting??

thanks

the symphony 2 has the indash cd changer. i understand what you mean now about pressing the button twice. i will have to give it a go ( i have a sony cd changer and connects 2 adapter i can try it with)

ta

As i think i have previously posted, Ihave been looking at this adapter to allow me to keep the changer in the boot also
It is 75quid which is steep and i know i prob wont ever use the changer again but....
web page
The adapter comes with a switch to select between changer and i-pod input thru the aux in

anybody know if it would be possible to change this switch for one of the ones that would fit next to ESP button on the dash where i currnetly have 2 blankers ??
where can you get similar switches that match and how much ??
am no electrician but think id poss be able to handle simple soldering etc.

what do you experts think??

got this all fitted on sat morning/afternoon
could not get it to work for 5hours as the instructions from dension are crap

finally saw there was a black wire to earth( Instr. did not say this!!!!)
and it all came to life finally

seriously great bit of kit
Concert system sounds 100 times better
more treble/mid and bass - well worth 99squid and iv got all my cd collection in the car
highly reccommend it to any one considering it

The control box should fit behind the headunit without a problem. It isn't very big, about 100x20x10mm with cables going in each end.

yeah control box behind the head unit - its literally just a circuit board with chips in a plastic wrapper - fits behind head unit no probs
and mounted using pro-clip angled mount which is very stable and secure and in a good location - all in all I am very pleased
did think i would have to upgrade my speakers or full system soon as i was getting a bit of vibrations from front passenger speakers like it had blown but the ipod sound is in my opinion better that my boot changer - perhaps this is something to do with the EQ on the ipod or something - sound is soo much better tho and I am over the moon - amazed at the difference

am now gonna see if i can get some of that red coloured clear sticky plastic and put it over the ipod facia so it blends in with the rest of the dash

I agree completely, current set up (Concert) sounds so much better now. I am considering upgrading speakers as my nearside front door speaker is vibrating a little, and keep breaking the poxy amp on rear speaker when loading the boot. May just go for a set of entry level components, something like Alpine or Kenwood, with a small amp in the boot to power the rears.

MasterMofo, is that Bexley in London? I'm moving to Sidcup next week.

Where did you route the wire from the cradle? I have mine jammed down the side of the head unit but I'd prefer is there was a neater route.

Also I havd some trouble getting the HU to click back in as well. Played with it for over an hour, was pushing it in flush with the rest of the dash and it just wasn't staying in. What a pain.

Found the earth wire too after messing with it. Connected it to a screw on the back of the HU, not sure if it is the right spot. though.

Anyone else have trouble with getting the HU back in?

bloke - yep bexley right near sidcup as it goes - ok-ish area - considering sidcup myself later in the year when i scrape together a house deposit

Necro - have my cable in same place and same probs with HU - it just wont go all the way back in - will try and find a better way of doing it at weekend - poss between the AC unit and the HU sections as there seemed to be room for movement when iw as fitting the pro-clip - altho it does mean taking the dash apart which i am sure will take up most of the day...will see how it goes

On my A4 i managed to get the cable to run in the gap between the steering column and the centre console. The are a number of largeish (1") holes down near the steering column that go through into the area behind the HU. When I have time i may try to find a way of doing it to keep the cable hidden.

See Pic

Image216.jpg

Going having another look at it this lunch time. I'll let you know how I get on.

I hope that the clips for holding the HU in aren't damaged.

i was just thinking... why does the dension kit have a separate ground wire? the headunit should have its only groud suply that the dension can tap into??

seems strange although i guess its not a big deal

yeah i was wondering the same thing and its with that kinda logical thinking that i wasted 5 hours sat in fitting the kit without earthing the black wire
its very poor that it did not say that in the instructions - wasted valuable drinking time on saturday!!

Is a CD changer earthed in the rear of the car or through the HU? If it is earthed in the rear then there wouldn't be a wire in the loom that connects to the HU, and therefore there would not be an earth wire coming out of the HU for the ICE-Link to connect to, I think! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ya the CD works fine. Click the CD button once to get to the CD player and click it again to go to the CD Changer / ICE>Link.
The menu on the ICE>Link is a bit of a pain. I have the iPod full and have playlists setup A-Z and the menus doesn't seem to follow them properly. It jumps around in different playlists.

I've been thinking about this for a while but I have acouple of questions, both relating the the Denison ICE>Link...

Do you ever need access to the Ipod once connected? i.e. turn on/off etc or is it totally controlled by the HU?

Are the track names displayed on the HU/DIS or not?

I'm considering mounting in the armrest so as to be well hidden but accessible if necessary.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about this for a while but I have acouple of questions, both relating the the Denison ICE>Link...

Do you ever need access to the Ipod once connected? i.e. turn on/off etc or is it totally controlled by the HU?

Are the track names displayed on the HU/DIS or not?

I'm considering mounting in the armrest so as to be well hidden but accessible if necessary.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can access your tunes through either the headunit or the Ipod. The headunit controls (known as Dension interface) are fairly limited (can't browse individual songs, only five playlists), however, if you want to hide the Ipod away you'll find it is the Dension interface you want to use. I have it configured for the Ipod interface (using the Ipod's controls). You can still use the HU buttons to skip/change etc in this mode.

ID3 display (track listings) is not supported for any of the Audi HU's, but you can buy aftermarket HU's that will allow facilities!

I have a quickie for those who've installed an ICE-Link.

I do a lot of motorway miles and find it very useful to have the TP traffic program switched on on my Concert I. However, when listening to the iPod, the radio cuts in with the news, but afterwards the iPod doesn't cut back in. The only way I can find to get it going again is to stop and remove the keys from the ignition. This is obviously no good, especially on the motorway! So is there something I am missing? Ocaisionally I have just turned the TP off, but this isn't the ideal solution when travelling on the M25 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have a quickie for those who've installed an ICE-Link.

I do a lot of motorway miles and find it very useful to have the TP traffic program switched on on my Concert I. However, when listening to the iPod, the radio cuts in with the news, but afterwards the iPod doesn't cut back in. The only way I can find to get it going again is to stop and remove the keys from the ignition. This is obviously no good, especially on the motorway! So is there something I am missing? Ocaisionally I have just turned the TP off, but this isn't the ideal solution when travelling on the M25 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You using Denion or Ipod interface?

I use both, Dension when I'm happy with playlists, or iPod when I want to listen to a specific album. The same thing happens when using either interface.

[ QUOTE ]
I use both, Dension when I'm happy with playlists, or iPod when I want to listen to a specific album. The same thing happens when using either interface.

[/ QUOTE ]

what firmware version you running?

I have no idea! how would I find out? and what difference would it make?

I've just found out that Dension have removed the firmware download facility from their website. You can find most of the updates here:

http://birdseye.ultralab.net/hal/?q=node/view/33

you should be able to jump straight to the latest firmware update. This should include bug fixes which should ease your issues. I ordered my Icelink in early Feb, and it came with v2.02, whereas I've heard that they are now shipped with v2.10. v.207 appears to be the latest update availabe in the URL above. It is basically a MP3 track which should be listed under an "album" on your Ipod called Updates. The idea is is that you start the MP3 playing whilst it is out of the cradle, and insert it straight away as it playing. This SHOULD apply the update. Some people have had issues with updating- mine went from v2.02 to v2.04 fine, I haven't been bothered to go all the way up to v2.07 yet.

Glad that URL is helping - I do now have v2.10 and will add it to the archive at that URL as soon as I get a chance.

[ QUOTE ]
Glad that URL is helping - I do now have v2.10 and will add it to the archive at that URL as soon as I get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya- didn't know you posted on here too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
hope you don't mind me posting your link!

For everyone else for further info re: Dension Icelink go to www.hackmycar.com for more advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

No worries at all! I've only just started here - happy for the link to be used.