Focal 130V-Slim......Slim enough for my A3???

For a speaker that is billed as "slim" you'd have thought they'd publish the mounting depth wouldn't you? Even in the PDF the depth is blank.
Remember that listening to door speakers in a car hifi store doesn't really tell you anything. Mounted in a display cabinet is very different to being mounted in a car door, with flimsy hardboard door card, acoustically poor door skin, very little room, airgaps all over the place and positioning near the floor. Even when mounted in a test car this will only go so far in telling you how they'll sound in your car.
Unless you are planning custom door builds, where you can go a long way to righting all of the above, it is the car door and its surroundings that start to dictate how good a speaker will sound rather than the speaker itself, certainly when you get past a certain level of speaker quality it becomes very difficult to improve the sound further without serious mods to the door.
I doubt the doors in your A3 will come anywhere close to doing justice to the quality of these speakers, and you'd probably get similarly good results from components half the price.

Forget trying to get any level of undistorted bass from a speaker mounted on a cardboard fronted biscuit tin.

The depth on the PDF says 53mm. Will this fit??

It actually refers to 60mm on the drawing (front to back) but you also need clearance for the rubber surround which stands proud of the front, looks about 5mm so it will be tight @ 65mm overall, but should just fit.
Remember to add the adapter depth as well, and fit with the window down as this needs clearance behind the magnet.

Thank you Andy! Ill put your advice to good work!

[ QUOTE ]
I've also made some custom builds for my JL's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nice one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kick builds or door builds?

get us some pics up fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif