Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    No misfires.

Status

Concert 'CD ERROR' in 2007 S3

As the title suggests I have encountered an error!

My standard double din concert system has always worked fine for the last year or so I have had the car but recently whilst playing 'CD's (which is very rare as I have the crappy ipod dock) the CD freezes and won't eject. 'CD Error' and 'service' flashes up.

A quick web search reveals that this is a 'known; fault but I havent found anything similar on here. The HU is the front loading 6CD version.

What are my options seeing as the car is 2 months out of warranty? Drop kick it up the garden and replace with something else?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by DaveyB; 26th August 2011 at 14:01.
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Hard to say whether it will be cheaper to fix than replace (off the bay / second hand). Problem is, it could happen again with a second hand replacement.

I'd imagine a local electronics firm may be as likely to fix it as Audi as usually it will be laser alignment or failure which isn't a complex fix as most drives are made by a handful of suppliers (philips / Sony etc.).

Have you tried running a TDK laser lens cleaning CD through it just incase it's fluff / dust?
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

No misfires.

Status
    Cheers Warren - those were my thoughts exactly with a replacement, i.e it could happen again if its a design/manufacturer fault.

I will give the TDK idea a go as there is every chance it could be a bit dusty because of the design of the unit. It can't have seen much action due to the mileage/age of the car so its not as if it's 'knackered' so to speak.

Neutral

Status
    Hi DaveyB,

I had similar problem with my sat nav-disc that loads into the front of my RNS-D, it said "cd error" same as yours.

I tried disc cleaner etc but had no luck.......

So i took the unit out, took the top off, stuck a cotton bud in my mouth to dampen it slightly and guided it in very carefully onto the laser and twisted. The cotton bud went black!!!!! I kept doing it until cotton bud was clean and with the last cotton bud i used it dry.

Put the unit back together, put disc in and loaded first time. Never had a problem since

Hope this fix will solve your problem to

Paul
    Audi A4 B6, Dolphin Grey, Full Votex Kit, 19" RS6 Alloys, Lowered 20mm, RS 3" Twin Exhausts, Chrome Mirror covers, Carbon Wrapped Grill, Cupra R Splitter, Wolfsburg Number Plate Surrounds, RNS-D Sat Nav, Full Colour D.I.S, Black Leather..........

No misfires.

Status
    Excellent stuff Paul - great to have another plan of attack!
    Last edited by DaveyB; 26th August 2011 at 17:03.