Phatnoise and Denison DH100ix Question?

Platinum70

Reaction score
Have searched the forums but not found the answers to my questions, so any help would be appreciated.

Was about to buy Phatnoise but discovered the Denison in my search.

Q. Will the Denison work o.k with BOSE system as I have seen some suggestion that it doesn't?

Q. Is the Phatnoise system voice driven as Audi claim and does it work well?

Q. How easy is Phatnoise to use and what is the quality of sound like?

Many thanks

I've already got the Dension DH100ix which will replace my Concert II HU. Also got the Bose setup.

Car doesn't arrive until 1st March so I can let you know progress after that if you like/can wait.

For me, if the Dension works it's a no brainer. You get a really good display for the idv3 tags, i've got a 60gb hard disk in mine (approx 15000 tracks) which is much bigger than the phatnoise and considerably cheaper. I paid £239 for mine from Dabs, (although it disappeared off their website the day after i ordered it so they might have cocked the price up).

I'll keep you posted.

I did check on Dabs and couldn't find it so that explains it.

There are a few places that do them near me though so i'll check out the price.

Were you assured that the unit would work fine with the Bose system.

Cheers

Phatnoise is upgradeable. Currently up to 80GB, though this will grow. I know the voice is to announce the next track, not sure of voice control though? I think that is more a control of the head unit. If your current HU allows this then yes.

What I dont' quite understand is how the Phatnoise works.

How do naviagte through the tracks or albums and how do you choose and know what you are playing??

Help please!!

controlled exactly the same as a shuttle, with folder select (disc select), track select (same). you can create any kind of folders that you like (genre, artist, year, or whatever) on your pc, then copy to the phatnoise cartridge (hard drive).

Have a look at their website for more detailed info on how it can interface with your specific HU:
http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/how_it_works.htm

Audi5e.

Thanks for your help. Will have a look at the link on your reply.

Cheers

My local dealers quote between £650 and £750 fitted.

I have seen these on Ebay for a lot less money. I presume i am buying the same thing and just need to get it fitted? Also i am guessing the hardest part of fitting is the cable run from back to front, and then the head unit removal.

Do they work seemlessly without any jumping or faults?

Thanks

If you buy on ebay from a US site then you will need to get a power supply for the USB cradle. otherwise it should be the same, just make sure you get the correct disks and cables for use with the audi HU. eg, i am not sure if you buy one that was mean't for a merc if the unit has the software for the audi already installed? (when you install it there are adapter cables and software, i suspect the software is built in but am not too sure)

I don't have mine yet (Kenwood version) but friends cars using it don't have any jumping problems. people have had issues copying files to the cartridge but then I also have issues writing mp3's to CDR/W's, songs being cut off for example. I suspect the problems stem from the format rather than the hardware.