ICE Recommendation for a B5 Audi A4?

madkebab

Reaction score
After some advice really. I have a 1996 A4 and currently am just running some 5 1/4 Kenwood Dual Mag Comps in the front doors off of my HU which is an Alpine 7893 I think, which has the V drive built in.
At the weekend I removed the rear panel speakers as they were blown. Now I need something to replace them with. Should I just stick some Co-ax's back in or is there another option? What about a sub for the boot? Would I still need some speakers on the rear shelf? I see JL do some 6.5 mid range / mid bass speakers could these be fitted in the rear deck or are these only for enclosures? Any ideas as Im not sure whats going to be best. By the way I listen mainly to house and techno so some punchy bass would be nice.

You'll only get the bass you want from a proper sub/enclosure in the boot and a separate 300wrms amp. you won't get punchy bass from the rear deack whatever you put in there unless you mount 2 x 6.5" JL subs and then enclose them underneath. A proper sub in the boot is a much better option. If you go this route then rear speakers are not needed and you'll get a better sound from just the fronts.
If you do want to mount something in the rear deck then you'll need adapter rings (as always with Audi)

Thanks Andy, Looks like I may go for the sub in the boot then. Any recommendations on sub and enclosures? What size sub would be best, 8"? I did see an Infinity Basslink quite cheap, are these any good? would the fronts be ok still just running off the HU?
With a sub fiited should I leave holes where the speakers were in the rear deck or should they be covered?

Cheers

Simon

Yup as the A4 boot is closed you will better off removing the back speakers if having a sub. Id imagine a single 12 to be best. Whats your budget?

Yaseen, not really sure about budget just want a reasonable sound and a bit of punchy bass. Wont a 12" be a bit boom'y ?

Depends how much you want to spend. Personally I don't see the value in spending a huge amount on a sub amp. All it's got to do is provide plenty of power and have the right controls. You can get something like an Alpine V12 MRV-T505 (old style) on ebay for £70 which is a 300wrms (@14.4v) bridged output, very well built, lasts forever with all the control you need including Xover & Parametric EQ (which allows you to cut certain frequencies). I use this model all the time to power my stealth sub for the A3 and it is a quality item.
You'll need 5m length RCA's/power etc.