Another single to double din question

kev1000

Reaction score
hi all, I was on to main dealer to order double din cage and got a quote for €35.
Great I thought, not as dear as I expected.
Then he tells me I need the console piece that goes around the gearstick and the armrest.
The price for that is €140.
I know there is slots in the console trim for the cage to fit in to but can I do it without having to replace the console?

Yes, however you need to cut the centre console with something like a dremel. You only get one shot at cutting the centre console take too much off and you will need to buy a new one, however single din consoles make nothing on ebay so have a look around on there.

Thanks for reply B5NUT,
So will I be able to mark how much to cut off by putting the cage,the c/c unit and the centre console together beforehand?
Then cut it, then install everything back again?

Yes, remove the centre console and cut everything out of the car as you will never be able to do it with the double din console fitted to the car.

I have everything out of the car, just waiting for the double din cage to arrive from Audi.
Cheers for help.

take pictures as you go mate and if you don't mind post them with a few words for like minded people like me :)

There's not much to it really, about 16 bolts at the most.
Armrest out, Console out, single din cage out disconnect any wiring.
I'm still waiting for my double din cage to arrive.
The only bit I'm worried about is I have to cut my console but I should be ok!
Another member on here emailed me on a PDF file of the job(thanks mattyboyc)
If you want I can forward it on to you or is there a way it could be made a sticky as it seems to be a popular mod.

Job done! Didn't have a dremmel so my favourite tool, the angle grinder made quick work of the centre console
photo-15.jpg

Last edited:
Hi noel, that's a jvc kw-740bt and I absolutely love it.
Had a pioneer in before that and a took a gamble on the jvc because I wasn't sure it would be as good sound wisebut it sounds and looks great. It has audio streaming and you can also set your own wallpaper on it.
I took a few pictures of the center console been cut but they didn't come out great and also I had to just keep taking a small bit off several times until the cage fitted in.

it's def really nice Kev. I'm tempted but I think if I can afford it I want to get a unit with dvd and nav all in one. hmmmmm...
shaving a bit off until it fits is def the best approach to cutting the centre console by the way. Better that than cutting too much and having a gaping hole or having to go buy another centre console.

@fourcircle, I think there's a built-in sat nav version too Noel.
But this unit has an RGB socket to connect a sat nav.
Also when I installed this I had a problem playing videos from my iPod but after playing around with the setting it is now working.
Just need a iPod av cable.

yeah it's around a grand though I think. I need to figure out if i need nav on my head unit or if the nav on my phone is enough. hmmm

i'm hoping i can plug a cheap enough sat nav into mine and it will display on the screen while playing music from ipod.
i could then leave the sat nav in the glove box.

hey the job is easy I done it on a 2005 B6 CAB took about 2 hours hardest thing is refitting the climate control and having to trim it just remember, measure 2mm at th top and 5 mm at the bottom and draw aline between the two marks and carefully cut the line then trim if you need to, got some pics if your interested PM me

just an update on this : the jvc in the pics above will display sat nav app from your iphone.
i have 2 sat nav apps, navigon and igo.
it displays navigon but won't display igo.
also if you are watching youtube on your phone, it displays that too.
the picture quality isn't great but it does work.

hey the job is easy I done it on a 2005 B6 CAB took about 2 hours hardest thing is refitting the climate control and having to trim it just remember, measure 2mm at th top and 5 mm at the bottom and draw aline between the two marks and carefully cut the line then trim if you need to, got some pics if your interested PM me
I think it's a bit different on a cab is it not? I bought a double din a4 (non cab) climate control unit so won't need to trim it thankfully.

kev, those are cool features on the jvc, especially the nav displaying on the screen from your iphone.

Double din cage on the cab is different and also cost a lot more that the saloon/Avant version

I just did my conversion tonight, along with wiring for a B7 climate control unit. All went well except the concert 3 (i think it's a concert 3. double din CD player from a B7 A4) won't power on. I have a wiring loom for an RNS-E that I was under the impression would do the job for the concert until I decide whether i'm going to get an RNS-E or aftermarket hean unit. ****** :(

The concert 3 has an extra pin that requires power, it's marked +UB just take 12v off the main power connector which is just below and is marked DI SENS on the radio.

The concert 3 has an extra pin that requires power, it's marked +UB just take 12v off the main power connector which is just below and is marked DI SENS on the radio.

You sir... are my new hero! :beerchug:

hot diggidy dawg, it's alive! Although oddly there was no pin in the plug for +UB but there was a connection for SENS that corresponded to a power feed on the loom so I had to add a pin at the head unit end. All good now though so I can have tunes while pondering what best to fill that double din space with next :)

hi there,

I have purchased an Avic D3 stereo and when I get back from Afghan I am looking to fit it. I have bought the double din plastic chassis that fits in the centre console and i need to get the surround now to fit the actual stereo, my biggest concern is the wiring. What cabling to i need to buy as i am unsure whether the standard concert stereo is amp'd and runs iso connectors.

Cheers

Dicky