Volks AutosChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Question RNS-e with BOSE - but want to add a separate amp & sub

Hi all.

I have a 2008 A4 Avant S Line SE with RNS-e and BOSE.

The sound is ok, but the sub is a little lost in the vast boot of the Avant. Is there a way of taking a feed from the head unit and pointing it towards an external amp (Alpine V12) and sub (AudioBahn)...?

I want to take the signal before it gets into the amp, therefore (presuming) it will be the cleanest - then stick some RCA cables on. I have seen amps that will take in the speaker cable direct - I expect those to be crappy quality and probably get hot.

Is this doable or am I make a rod for my own back and will end up in a big heap or wires/fire/anger?!

Thanks all.
    [.:: brixo ::.]
    2008 Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line SE Avant, Lava Grey, RNS-e, happy to be back to an Audi!
    2007 Porsche Cayman, 2.7 stock lump. Bought the wrong engine. Amazing chassis gone...
    Previous Audis - A3 1.8 SE, B5 A4 1.8T Sport, B6 A4 1.9TDi Sport, B5 S4 Avant, B7 A4 2.0TDI S Line, B6 S4 Avant...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Yes you can pick up the rear pre-outs from the connector on the Bose amp along with the remote on trigger to turn the Alpine on/off with the HU. You just need to strip the ends off an RCA lead and piggyback onto the left/right signals and remote on.
    You may need to include a ground loop isolator before the Alpine amp to avoid getting a pop when the amp turns on.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    Many thanks for the prompt reply. I was expecting hell, a lot of wire cutting, a lot of swearing, several fuses blown and a potential fire hazard!

I'll get looking at where to mount the amp and how to get power to it!

Cheers!
    2008 Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line SE Avant, Lava Grey, RNS-e, happy to be back to an Audi!
    2007 Porsche Cayman, 2.7 stock lump. Bought the wrong engine. Amazing chassis gone...
    Previous Audis - A3 1.8 SE, B5 A4 1.8T Sport, B6 A4 1.9TDi Sport, B5 S4 Avant, B7 A4 2.0TDI S Line, B6 S4 Avant...

Neutral

Status
    Would you use...

"Remote on" = 6
    "left/right signal" = 21/22

Thanks.

Status
    Yes and pin 7 for the screens on the RCA's
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    Many thanks - done (with thanks to a friend who isn't as kack handed as me)!

Piggybacked all of the Bose connector wires... that Bose connector was a complete biatch to dismantle, but done.

I have just been to the local audio place to buy my 8AWG power and told him what I was up to.

He has tried this a few times, but says that by splitting the line inputs, the voltage drops (due to "sharing" the signal with the ones going into the Bose amp) and the RNS-e will think there is an issue and shut down after about 15 minutes...

... has anyone seen this or is it make belief?!

Status
    Total ********, I've done it many times and its fine
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    Yup, thought so. Completed the install. Running a cable from the battery to the back of the car was a *****. They made these cars too well nowadays!

Now to figure out how to stop if from being permanently on - the "remote" is supplying power constantly to the relay, therefore the amp is on all of the time... put a switch on the "remote" wire for the time being.

Thanks again.

Status
    As said pin 6 provides the switched live to turn the amp on/off with the HU. It does stay live until you lock the car for some bizarre Audi reason.
    Alex Turner