Worth Buying an amp for components??

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents. Never posted on this sub-forum before. Usually knocking around the B5 threads....

I have a Pioneer MVH-8300BT head unit with 4 x 50 watts OUTPUT. The doorspeakers are EDGE ED305 components with 200 watts potential output. Now I am powering these off the head unit and TBH the sound is pretty good. The question I have is....Is it worth buying a seperate amp to drive these components? Will it really make them sound that much better? I also have a driven Alpine 12 inch sub in the boot that takes care of all the bass. Usually set the door speakers up to +0 bass and +3 treble. I have removed the rear door speakers/tweeters and only have the front speakers and sub in the boot. Also, can anyone please explain to me what a high pass filter is? I can adjust it via the HU (think its something to do with the sub?). Many thanks gents, sorry if that was a bit long winded!!!

Ollie:icon_thumright:

High pass filter passes the high frequencies, so filters out the bass
Low pass does the opposite i.e. for a sub
I wouldn't bother amping the fronts unless you go for a quality amp like Genesis.
The components mounted to the flimsy door cards are not going to benefit much from a separate amp, but something like a Genesis will give you a much warmer more musical sound.

Thanks for taking the time out to answer that bud! Ref the amp I hear you. I have reinforced the doorcards with fibreglass and dynamatt, and made custom mounts for the speakers myself. It makes it sound a lot better but last thing I want to do is shake the hell out of them! - The prob I have is my new HU does not have a +/- for bass or treble.....It does have a high and low pass filters though, is this more or less the same thing?
This is my HU......

PIONEERMVH-8300BTHEADUNIT.jpg

Not really the same. You set the front components on high pass at around 150Hz, so that they don't get any low bass that they can't handle. You would still then need separate bass adjustment on the HU that you would fiddle with depending on the track you're listening to.
Personally I have a real issue with overly complex HU's that have no basic SQ functionality and you have to go into multiple menus just to tweak the bass up or down a notch. All these settings are great but should be a complement to Bass & treble controls not a replacement.

Agreed! So you reccomend setting the front comps high filter to about 150Hz? What about the low filter/treble?

I don't know how your HU works, but usually the high pass low pass options are only used for the pre-outs i.e. the signals going to a separate amp, allowing you to change the crossover settings from the HU rather than doing it on the amp itself. I doubt it will have any effect on speakers connected directly to the HU.