Cant get my headunit out my car

StevoS3

Reaction score
I've got a 52 reg S3 with the double din head unit and my stereo is locked, It went in to get the clutch done and when it came back I had to put the code in as the battery was disconnected. Turns out the code I have in my book isnt the one for the stereo so I'ne now locked it and for some reason i cant pull the head unit out, I've took it to halfords and they cant get it out either.. Its like the springs in the key slots are fekked and isnt releasing it. How else can I get it out?

My guess it's keys that your using, the halfords ones are rubbish and so are a lot of the ones on eBay.

Very true, saying that some people deserve it, saw a young halfords lass changing the battery on some guys BoS people carrier, while he stood and watched, good on the girl for doing the job shame on the bloke for not being able to change a battery. Muppet.

The release keys have prob gone behind the tabs instead of ontop and pushed them too far out.

That said though. it can be released using a pair of small precision screwdrivers to prise the tabs back into place (had to do it a couple of times), VERY fiddley though, especially if you dont know what your feeling for...

I have the same problem trying to pull my unit out. Bought a set of cheap keys from eBay and they do not work. Can someone please point me to a set that will do the job?