XCarLink users: Windows software to manage MP3s

benw123

Reaction score
I recently installed an XCarLink device into my Honda, and so far it's been great. Before buying it I did my homework to understand how MP3 files are organised in the six "CD" folders, and decided to put together a quick Windows desktop app to try and make managing it easier. I've done something like this before with the Audi RNS-E sat nav unit, which uses SD cards, and this proved popular so I thought I'd have another go - this is aimed at Symphony or Chorus users who have the device installed.

screenshot1.jpg

All you need to run it is Windows (XP, Vista or Windows 7). Once installed, you set your default Music folder and target drive (the drive letter most commonly associated when you plug an SD card or USB stick into your computer) and then simply drag/drop music into each of the six CD columns. You can save your playlists so it's possible to create several different versions with different music, and then with one click transfer it to SD or USB. There's also a function to save your playlist as an M3U file for use with other media players.

Just to add that it's completely free of charge, and that it is in no way endorsed by XCarLink or its suppliers. Download from SourceForge here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xcarlink-mp3mgr/

If you use it, please provide feedback in this thread. I'll do my best to add as many features as I can, as well as fix any bugs :)

Quick update to this - I'm testing a 12 CD folder version (the changes weren't enormous but lengthy enough!) plus a few more bits and pieces.

If anyone has read this thread and wants to provide feedback or stay in touch for further updates, I've created a small Facebook page for people to do so:

XCarLink MP3 Manager | Facebook

SourceForge reports a number of downloads since launch but I've not heard back from anyone yet!

Okay, version 1.0.2 of XCarLink MP3 Manager now available from SourceForge. Couple of adjustments made but the main change is the option of up to 12 CD folders :)

Screengrab available on the Facebook page (link above).

Any feedback welcome as always.

Just tried to instal it and it brings a box up saying a cabinet file is corrupt, so it won't instal :sadlike:

Hi Gary, thanks for letting me know - will check it out. What version of Windows are you on out of interest?

Thanks mate - I have XP on another machine so will test this tonight. Hope to get a revised version uploaded at the same time.

I've uploaded a fresh installation file - I think the previous one was corrupt for some reason.

I have noticed that on my XP laptop, the install doesn't work if you click "Run" at the download prompt. Instead, press "Save" first so that it downloads correctly, then run it from there.

Let me know how it goes!

That's got the little devil. Works champion now mate :icon_thumright:

Sweet - cheers Gary! I've got a few more bits on the list so will get through those in the coming weeks.

As ever, if you think of any must-haves then do let me know.

Version 1.0.3 is now available, featuring up to 16 CD folders. I think this is now the maximum, unless anyone else disagrees! Certainly it's a busy window and couldn't really take any more.

Also included is a remove duplicates function and some fixes have been made to the menu functions and option panels.

As always, feedback drives development so anything you can share would be great.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xcarlink-mp3mgr/

It's taken me time to put some updates in, but version 1.0.4 is now available. Key changes include:

• Drag/drop between CD columns now enabled
  • CD Titles added. Although XCarLink can't use them, it helps organise your collection
  • Select all option for tracks within a CD (press CTRL-A)

There's also been some refinements to the settings and additional error handling. Next on the list is sorting tracks within CDs, although this is proving a bit challenging! As always, any feedback appreciated.

You can download the latest version here.

I also have a Facebook group to share feedback.

Interesting read that buddy!!

Good to see somebody taking the initiative on something like this. Did you mention you did an RNSe version?

Very interesting read, I don't have RNSe or Xcarlink but would like to say thanks for the program anyway.

Interesting read that buddy!!

Good to see somebody taking the initiative on something like this. Did you mention you did an RNSe version?
Thanks - I was responsible for the RNS-E MP3 Manager that I wrote a few years back. I would like to back into it as it still attracts lots of downloads each week, but haven't been able to!

The RNS-E version is a bit buggy though and there isn't any support for SD card readers in most modern PCs and laptops, but I'm hoping I can address this at some point.

Hi
would this work with my yatour yt-mo6, its basically the same as the x-car link (6 cd folders)
thanks