My Home-made "Budget" Install :)

Curt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought I may as well stick this up as I'm quite chuffed with the results really...

I say "budget" because, the home-made part may be budget, but the actual ICE really wasn't. Although I did get it cheap.

Okay, bought 2 new amps and a new sub as I fancied an upgrade... JL Audio as I love their stuff.

Here's a comparison of the subs, old 12WX-4 on the right, lovely new 12W3V3-4 on the left:

IMAG0439.jpg

Haven't got any pics of the amps on their own, but they're equally awesome IMO. (JL Slash 300/4V2 and Slash 300/2V2)

Decided I wanted to mount these properly, last ones were mounted on the back of the seats, amongst other things like aesthetics they're a bit heavy for that. Was going to go get some MDF but found some old stuff in the shed and thought I had nothing to lose... Started with this:

IMAG0436.jpg

Mmmm.

Then some funny shapes:
IMAG0435.jpg

Quick test fit:
IMAG0438.jpg

Think I bought enough acoustic carpet?
IMAG0442.jpg

Haha

I don't think it turned out too bad considering it was my first attempt at upholstering anything, and it was a bit of a funny shape:
P1030490.jpg

P1030491.jpg

P1030492.jpg

Amps mounted and fitted:
P1030497.jpg

P1030498.jpg

P1030495.jpg

Happy with that, got a grill on the way for the sub which will keep my boot usable without killing the sub. Also going to fit a panel to the back to hide all the wiring next.

Oh, I know it needs a hoover :p.

Comments welcome, cheers.

Little update for anyone that cares...

Fitted the grille to the sub which should do the job and looks quite smart too:

IMAG0444.jpg

Today after work I filled in the gap between the amps to hide the wires, so covered a little strip of MDF. Makes such a big difference IMO:

IMAG0454.jpg

IMAG0452.jpg

Also bought some new components for the front, just waiting for my Andy Mac speaker adapters.

IMAG0446.jpg

Sorry about the rubbish pictures, phone camera.

Some good quality speaker wire turned up today too, ready for when I get some new coax's for the rear. Bought some self adhesive cable tidies too, may as well.

Still needs a hoover!

Cheers.

nice work.

Still needs a hoover :lmfao:

Cheers, still does :p

Fitted the Focal's the other day, now sounds very awesome.

IMAG0456.jpg

Thanks to AndyMac for the very nicely made adapters :thumbsup:

How did you get the backing so neatly off the doorcard? All the ones I've done have been a real pig, did you heat it up?

How did you get the backing so neatly off the doorcard? All the ones I've done have been a real pig, did you heat it up?

Not really sure, I've had it off before now... I think when I first pulled it back I just went at it slowly, so it came off fairly easily this time. I have to say though, when I did the 2nd one, the door card was left in the sun for a bit and it did come off a lot easier then the first.

Thats a tidy little install.
I like it. :)

Cheers man, I think so :)