Upgrades

AUDIXXX

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to the Audi, i have an a4 (2000) and on the head unit, it says concert... Am i right to say that this is the Concert I unit, not the Concert II??? I went to my audio shop, and they told me that i could use the existing head unit to power a pre amped sub, is this true? arent pre amped subs like normal subs? The guy also said that the standard rear speakers are amped... Is this also true??? Cheers, Dom

Concert I is tape/radio, Concert II is CD/radio, both have front & rear pre-outs that can be used to feed a sub amp.

will this be sufficient to power a pre amped sub??? or would u suggest upgrading the standed equipment?

I would always recommend upgrading the standard equipment as it is woefully poor, but I have added my stealth sub to many standard Audi Concert head units with great results, although you will always be limited by the fact you don't have a non fading sub pre-out so you have no independent control over the level of the sub, (which you will get with most aftermarket head units) other than adjusting Bass and rear fader, and that the pre-outs are pretty feeble (less than 1v) whereas most AM HU's will be 4v or more.

saying that, I am on a budget, anything u guys would recommend doing, If i was to upgrade everything, it would cost me a lot more than i expected. hmmm, will the existing headunit power after market sub and amps... as i might upgrade headunit later on. There are pre amped subs with bass control mounted in the dash, would this be any good?

and also, main question is, if i do end up upgrading the headunit, how do i go about using the factory cd changer with the new headunit?

The Audi HU will work with an additional sub amp and you can use the Bass control on the HU to give some control of the sub. I personally wouldn't mount a sub volume on the dash, especially if you will be changing the HU later on which won't need it.
You can't use the Audi changer with non Audi HU. Sell it on ebay and you'll get about £120 for it which can go towards a decent MP3/CD changer.