2006 A3 Concert CD HU Replacement Is A Canbus Adapter Worth It?

whammer007

Reaction score
I want to change this HU, it's 1U and I expect it's ISO with active rears. (not had it out yet waiting for keys).
Is a Canbus adapter really worth it? Or is there a switched live I could hook into?
Would Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers this be the right Canbus adapter, and would I need anything else?
Sorry for all the questions, I want to buy everything at once.
I fancy fitting a Pioneer MVH 8330BT if anyone has had any experience of these.

Thanks in advance,

Col

Single din will be 100% ISO's

Do you need illumination as well?

Finding a first position ignition feed is not always easy, a lot of the fuse positions are second position only.

So if you need lighting and ignition it may be worth buying the adaptor.

Don't think the CANBUS emulators give you first position ignition live either

I didnt realise that, so you saying that fuses 1-11 that are ignition switched are a mixture of 1st & 2nd position switched or just 2nd, gonna go check this tomorrow on our 8P's now for future reference, thanks.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Got the HU out, can anyone ID this and advise what I will need to complete the installation?
I'm fitting a Pioneer MVH8300BT (Typo before)

It has diversity antenna as well.

Regards,

Col

Not sure on the 8P IIRC they are all 2nd position. You have to tap a wire off the ignition switch to get a proper accessory feed i.e. one that stays live until you pull the keys out. If that is the case then it kind of makes the CANBUS emulator pointless as tapping a 2nd position live is easy.

Col, yes as Craig has said that is an ISO HU, so you'll need a PC9-401 adapter to feed the rear/sub amp from the rear RCA's on the Pioneer
You'll need a fascia adapter and then a power antenna adapter to feed power to the aerial amp.
You should have a diversity aerial and regular ISO aerial, so you just need to use the ISO one.

Thanks for all your help.
Just a couple of last questions, sorry.
I see there is an aerial adapter for fakra PC5-136, would this be better?
Also is there any advantage in using PC9-404 and using the RCA outputs on the back of the Pioneer?

Regards,

Col

Last edited:
Yes, sorry I meant PC9-404.
Without trying the 2 adapters it's difficult to say. FM really doesn't need much of a signal

Andymac I need your help mate.
I've hooked up the ne HU using the PC9-404, but there is no output from the rear speakers.
Am I missing something in the wiring?
I hooked up 2 perm lives to feed the HU, cos ignition on/off doesnt bother me as i'll be detaching the panel anyway.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Col

You need to connect the blue flying lead on the adapter to the "power antenna" or "remote on" feed from the new HU

Thanks mate,

Hooked that up OK.
I just had to make the corners of the fascia panel square so the Pioneer HU would fit.
Oh, and earth the handbrake light wire so that video would play.

Thanks again mate,

Col