How to re-code a RNS-E headunit to enable AUX IN - Leeds area

stucker

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post after having only recently purchased my very first ever Audi. Went for a 56 plate S4 cab and I am absolutely loving it!

The only minor annoyance I am having, which is the reason for this post, is the lack of options the car has for hooking up additional music sources. I have the RNS-E navigation unit with the 6-CD changer in glove box and the two SD card slots under the fold up screen (no TV tuner and no Telephone prep), but I would ideally love to hook up my 160Gb Ipod which is already full of all the music that I could ever want to listen to and more.

I haven't regularly used CDs in years and the SD slots seem to only accept the old format SD cards (maximum of 2 Gb each) so am finding it quite a restictive setup for what is a relatively newish car (for me at least)! My local Audi dealership (Leeds) has confirmed that the only way around this is to buy a cable that will replace the CD changer completely and allow me to access the Ipod through the MMI (although with a very basic interface apparently as the car still thinks you are controlling the CD changer). However they said this would cost me the best part of a couple of hundred quid and would still be a pain as you would then loose the ability to play CDs at all.

I have done some research on various forums as I figured there must be another way around this, and my best option seems to be to look to enable the aux in setting on the unit (I would rather lose direct control of the Ipod through the car controls than lose the CD changer completely). All the posts I have found say that I need to re-code the unit, however I would not have the first clue how to do this or what software/cables I would need to buy e.t.c (eveyone seems to refer to vag.com but I have no experience using this software). Is there anyone out there in the Leeds area that has the necessary skills/kit that would be able to help me with this?

Many thanks in advance, Steve

No recoding necessary as that won't get you anywhere. You need a box of tricks that fools the HU into thinking it has a CD changer connected and therefore allowing access to the audio in connection that the changer uses. Most people either use xcarlink or dension ICELink. Each have slightly different capabilities in regard to controlling the iPOD from the HU, but ultimately you are limited as the HU does still think it is controlling the changer. You can still use the changer as well. Audi know nothing about car audio and their "solutions" are very overpriced and very limited (as you have discovered). Xcarlink is about £60 and ICELink about £90 then you can add a cradle if you want to mount the iPOD.

Thanks for the info Andy, really glad I didn't end up taking the dealers advice. I have actually since found and ordered a cable that runs from the back of the head unit to provide an aux socket. Found some posts that explain how you can enable the required aux in source on the rns-e via vagcom and using the directory on this site, have located a really helpful bloke who lives nearby who is going to help me do the necessary recoding. Thanks again for the help, Steve