Aftermarket unit & oem changer

CosmicHamster

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I do apologise if this has been explained before but I've searched this site & other and can't really find what I'm after.

I've just bought a 1998 A4 2.5tdi, it has the standard oem concert headunit & changer (can't find any name/model on it?).

I'm looking to fit my Sony Bluetooth headunit and was wondering if it was possible to still use the changer.

I know I need a new lead to connect my Sony unit, but would there be another/different lead to let the changer hook up to?

If not I'll probably just remove the changer with the oem unit.

Any info is appreciated
Chris

No, no aftermarket HU's work with the Audi changer. There are adapters to make an aftermarket changer work with the stock HU but not the other way round.

That's great thanks for the info, at least now I know so will probably remove the changer too.

Any chance anyone knows the adaptor lead needed to fit the aftermarket unit.

I believe it's PC9-401, that's what halfords say, however on the autoleads site it goes on about Bose rear/front amplified and a load of other stuff.

I just don't know are all the Audi systems Bose or only some, mines an August 1998 A4 with concert unit.

Thanks

All Audi's are rear amplified, some are Bose which is front & rear amplified, just buy the PC9-410 which works with either.
Or check the wiring behind the HU, if you have a brown front speaker connector then you don't have Bose so only need the 404. Or rewire the rears directly to the new HU and bypass the puny 2 x 20w rear amp.

Well bought the 401 & went to fit it, but no joy with the rear speakers as the red speaker plug has no connection to go into. Just wondering if the 404 lead has a connection for it or how easy/hard is it to rewire them into the front speaker plug?

The rear speakers have their own amp bolted to the left rear speaker. The 401 takes the rear RCA's (pre-outs, unamplified) from the Sony and feeds them to the rear amp. So the RCA's connect to the RCA's on the Sony and the other end plugs into the Audi loom. All you then have to do is connect the blue flying lead to the power antenna or remote on wire on the Sony which will switch the rear amp on/off with the HU. Either that or just rewire the rears directly to the HU and bypass the ****ty little Audi amp.