Just got my 2001 A3, ICE help please!

Ay3

Reaction score
Picked up my A3 TDi at the weekend and want to improve the ICE, it has the concert cassette headunit and i'd consider keeping it if i can do the following;

Install my 10" sub (in a home made box) along with a sony amp from my "old" car (nice and small so doesn't take up much room), replace the front speakers for some Components (also run of the sony amp) and hook up my Ipod into the glovebox.

I've seen the xcarlink kit and think that would be ok for me as i only ever play from a playlist in the car anyway so that side is sorted. My question is the feeds from the headunit to my 4 channel sony amp. I'm not bothered about hooking up the rear speakers, all i need are the front components and the rear sub.

What is the best way to achieve this if it can be done? Not looked at the rear of the concert headunit yet but i assume it doesn't have rca preouts!

Thanks

Great thanks Andy, i actually found your sub box on ebay before i joined this forum! Once i have done some jobs that need doing on it (major service, cambelt, tyres, rear disks......) i will look at getting one from you as although my sub is small i like the idea of not taking up and boot space with the box.

Just one (probaby very stupid question) what do you mean by retaining the DIS feed? (what's a DIS...lol)

Driver Information System - to retain the "oh so useful" radio station or track number info within the instrument cluster because there are some drivers who are so feeble they might crash if they have to glance at the radio itself.

well in that case mine doesn't work..... :lmfao:

The display reads 'service' when i put the ignition on (as it's overdue) and then OK (i assume a systems check) but then nothing (it does show doors open), so i guess the radio or feed for that is dead then. Something else to investigate!

Many thanks for your help.

It's the top bit of the display, it normally shows nothing until you turn on the HU. Maybe someone retrofitted an iPOD interface or something and butchered the wiring. It's a pointless feature anyway, usually blocked by the steering wheel.

OK. will check when i have the headunit out i guess.

Thanks again